33 replies to this topic

#16 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:46 AM

I ended up eating at fat rice, as you can tell from the post above I was recovering from a bad cold and my sinuses were still congested, but I don't really think my congestion affected my enjoyment of the meal that much.  I started out with three bites, cold marinated peanuts, pigs ears, and a terrific plate of eggplants in a spicy sauce.  the first two weren't that interesting but the sambal on the eggplants was really nice.  I may have ordered wrong but I didn't like rest of the food.  we had the curry vegetables chamucas, which weren't very well fried and had little flavor, and again the sauce was the best thing on the plate.  the other thing we ordered is the signature arroz gordo, which is a clay pot of rice with duck, olives, and raisins it it with sausage, curried chicken thighs, chili prawns, char su, a tea egg, croutons, olives, a lemon with chili powder, and probably some other things piled on top.  the rice was a little dry and most of the toppings weren't good, I think the raisins and olives were the only things I really liked, the prawn was okay but the sausage, char su, and clams were all pretty bad.  

so as I said we might have had better luck ordering off the rest of the menu, the concept is really appealing to me, but I think bun-ker, uncle boons, and even two duck goose with carole greenwood in the kitchen offer or offered much better executed food with better ingredients.

I did manage to have a nice meal at frontera grill despite the limited lunch menu, and the burger I had at the kuma inn was a good bar burger but not as good as what you get at the double windsor.  my enjoyment of kuma inn may have been spoiled by the overproduced boring black metal they were blaring over what's probably the best sound system I've heard in a bar.  

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

Shit, sorry I steered you wrong. I feel badly about Kuma and that sucks about Fat Rice, j have been wanting to go there for a couple of years now.

Two duck goose is good now? Edit to add- they are closed?
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#18 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:45 PM

I don't know if you would have liked it but carole greenwood was at 2 duck goose shortly before they closed and the one meal we had was terrific. we tried to go back a few times and they were closed for weird reasons and then actually closed. the owner told the restaurant is reopening as a noodle place next month with a different chef.

don't feel bad, fat rice was on my radar anyways and all the press makes it seem terrific. kuma inn is on the way to the airport and has three floyds on tap.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

Let's say you had a free lunch on a Saturday in Chicago.  (And let's say, to the extent it makes any difference, you have every reason to believe you're going to be majorly hung over.)

Where would you go?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Maybe go to one of the Chicago Beef places.  Or even some BBQ.. Chicago has some freaking awesome BBQ..  Chances are you should have a few beers and something greasy.. I don't know if you want to get all fancy but, beer and fried works for me.. Unless, you want to hit up the hotel gym, drink some green tea and eat a few bananas..   A jog is even better than eating and drinking unhealthy.

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#21 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:38 AM

Publican or fat rice (notwithstanding Aaron's post above - get another data point).

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#22 Steven Dilley

Steven Dilley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

For hangover food, maybe Au Cheval.  Though the noise level could make it pretty painful.  Had lunch there and Avec last week (hadn't been to Avec in years) and preferred Avec, though that burger at Au Cheval is pretty good.  I don't recall Chicago restaurants being so loud.  Roister, Duck Duck Goat, Monetverde, Au Cheval, all incredibly loud.  And I like loud restaurants.

Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.

--H.L.Mencken

Sissies and wastoids

#23 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

I probably ordered wrong.

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

Maybe just some beef.

Thanks guys.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Oh, maybe Au Cheval!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Probably not the gym.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 bolderite

bolderite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Another vote for Publican. Or Green River, but then you have to get more alcohol.

#28 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

I think had a lunch at Publican on that same trip, but it was a group thing, so they just brought out food and more food. I remember it being very, very meaty and fat--just the thing for a hangover. I liked it a lot, iirc.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#29 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

Ruth Reichl has a very positive review of her meal at Sun Wah BBQ, 5039 N Broadway St, Chicago, IL 60640.  Duck dinner

We ate a ton of food: wonderful ong choy, great tripe, clams with black bean sauce, bittermelon and beef, congee…. But it’s the duck that’s the main event.

http://ruthreichl.co...k-chicago.html/

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#30 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,244 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Wait, you have to, like, wait forever at Au Cheval, don't you?

Bar Loser

MF Old