33 replies to this topic

#31 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

Halp, don't want to think. Don't want the same menu they serve at every restaurant in Chicago. May stay in
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#32 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Many of the people in town for the Beard Awards over the weekend posted photos from Elske.

ETA: What does "the same menu they serve at every restaurant in Chicago" mean?

#33 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

I've been here too long. The dining scene here is strange and generic and soulless. I could write a list of menu items and it would be 75 percent of the Chicago menus that I've been too.

It reminds me of dining in Atlanta or DC. Huge spaces, million dollar build outs, huge kitchens. There is no sort of neighborhood or anything. It's just like you are a cog in the machine. Eat your cheese covered bacon dish and be gone. I went to the girl and the goat. Small intimate space of say 300. The food starts coming out just a minute after your cocktail hits the table. We ordered a bottle of
Wine, which completely brought the pace to a screeching hault. They turned the table next to us 2.5 times while we sat and ate our food at what I felt is a normal pace. But every place I've been to is like that. It's a factory an assembly line. High end cafeterias.

even talking to bartenders here make them uncomfortable. I don't know, I feel like people are just going through the motions and it's all sort of who gives a shit.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#34 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,216 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Many of the people in town for the Beard Awards over the weekend posted photos from Elske.

ETA: What does "the same menu they serve at every restaurant in Chicago" mean?

Elske was named the #2 hottest new restaurant in America by Bon Appetit. The authors of the study traveled around the country and winnowed the list to 10 finalists.

Their article about Elske doesn't contain anything that would cause me to rush for a ticket to Chicago, but it sounds like a nice place.

http://www.bonappetit.com/story/elske

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli