41 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,667 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

Rosie has a nice write up on Tillie's (519 Millburn Avenue, just south of Short Hills Avenue).  This is just down the street from Wine Library.

When seated warm organic, course-textured cornbread paired with honey butter, both made in house, are presented in a silver bucket. It was so good that at the end of the meal, although I was uncomfortably full, I took the last piece and smeared it with the addictive honey butter. We hope this bread never comes off the menu.

The onion soup was also memorable. Served in a large bowl with multi-shaped onions (chunks, slivers and even whole cipollini), the rich short-rib/bourbon broth and topping of Gruyere made this a spectacular dish. Also consider ordering the charred and tender slab bacon, which sits atop a burnt-onion, caraway-mustard coleslaw presented on a wooden board;

http://njmonthly.com...in-short-hills/

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up Paul...and thanks Rosie.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,667 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Paryzer has a very favorable discussion of Tillie's in the Where Did You  Eat This Week thread...

http://mouthfulsfood...week/?p=1388934

Tillie's website:  http://www.tilliesonmillburn.com/

#4 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

My wife & I had another outstanding dinner at Tillie's Christmas Eve. In addition to the excellent courses we had previously eaten (slab of bacon, shrimp & grits) we also had a very tender octopus appetizer prepared with a fresh romesco sauce and caramelized onions, and an excellent Lamb & Venison Shepherds Pie (gourmet comfort food :) ). The highlight of the evening was a very generous serving of a complementary dish that Chef Wirt was experimenting on placing on the menu. It consisted of very tender Rabbit confited in duck fat for 18 hours with herbs and a turnip puree on the bottom. It also contained black lentils, maitake mushrooms, onions, carrots, & collard greens. It was exceptional. I hope to see this dish on next month's menu, when we return. As customary, we took home a full scrumptious key lime pie :P

#5 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 02:39 PM

My wife and I had another outstanding dinner at Tillie's last night. In addition to the courses that we had previously eaten, (Octopus, shrimp & grits, & key lime pie), we also shared a crispy cod cake appetizer with a claremont salad and an excellent homemade smoky tartar sauce. Chef Wirt also gave us a very generous complimentary serving of a dish that he was experimenting on placing on the menu. It was a fabulous grilled pumpkin swordfish with white beans & collard greens, served in a lobster sauce and white bean puree. For an entree I had the fork tender short rib with root vegetable puree :P 

I know I've said it before, but I would rather eat at this lovely down to earth, no frills, restaurant then the stuffy Common Lot a few minutes away, with the supposedly more pedigreed chef (or at least the chef with more PR). Chef Wirt really knows how to work with fresh locally sourced ingredients, and his prices are extremely reasonable compared to Common Lot.

E7jDZrdh.jpg

Octopus with fresh romesco sauce & caramelized onions

qc6qXwFh.jpg

Half eaten grilled pumpkin swordfish with white beans & collard greens in a lobster sauce & white bean puree

#6 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

My wife & I had another excellent dinner at Tillie's Saturday night. Chef Wirt generously served us a couple of outstanding complimentary appetizers that weren't on the regular menu. The first extraordinary appetizer was chilled mussels on toast, which consisted of chilled mussels, with thinly sliced octopus, cara cara orange, orange zest, lemon juice, smoked seaweed flakes, garlic, & pickled shallots, on a crunchy piece of toast. The orange mixed with the mussels & octopus was a brilliant combination. Chef Wirt also comped us with chilled Louisiana Shrimp, poached slowly in Octopus liquid, with a delicious homemade cocktail sauce, made with horseradish and worcestershire sauce. 

Besides our usual dishes (of steak tartare & Cajun shrimp & grits), we also had Steamed Maine Mussels, with smoked striped bass, white wine, & roasted garlic. I could take a bath in that delicious sauce :P I also had a very tasty pork chop in a light mustard sauce, served with black eyed peas, bacon, rice, & roasted brussel sprouts.

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

Dee and I found ourselves at Tillie's the other evening.  Our plane landed later than we had planned, and we were in the neighborhood. Called for a reservation ("no problem"), stopped by Wine Library, and we were in the front door in about ten minutes.

Really nice looking place. A lot of thought went into the decor and design. Well lighted, without being too bright. Wasn't very busy. At 7pm there was a party of three, and a party of one. Two parties of three each arrived during our stay, and that was it. They weren't expecting many people, just one server / front end manager / receptionist, and a runner.

The corn bread miniatures led off, with the honey butter.  One deviled chicken liver and chopped egg on a crusty Italian bread slice. Flecks of hot pepper, and a drizzle of maple syrup. Liked it immensely. The "slab of bacon"  was a 7 inch long piece of pork belly on a bed of pickled onion slaw and micro-greens. I think they may have braised the belly and finished it under the broiler. Served it already divided into 6 or 7 segments. Liked it too.

Duck was great, fragrant, warm, well rendered. Perfectly suited for a cold, windy night.  The short ribs were OK. Slow cooked with wine peppers tomatoes etc.  I found them to be under seasoned. The whipped potatoes were wonderful.

A modern rendition of an icebox cake was delicious.  We brought a Russian River Pinot Noir, suggested by Jim Gorman at Wine Library. (Me: Jim, we have dinner reservations at Tillie's in 10 minutes. Whatcha got?  Him: I really enjoyed this wine, a steal for $21.) It was fine, not at all heavy, but stood up fine to the duck and ribs.

$100 with tax, before tips.  Not a mis-step along the way. Timing was perfect.  Ashley was vigilant, friendly, exceptionally helpful. I can't imagine they made much money, though. Two people out front, three people in the back that I could see.  Prices are up by $3 to $5 an item compared to their website.

#8 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:51 AM

Nice write up, Paul. I'm glad that you made it to Tillie's & mostly enjoyed it. They do a lot more business on Saturday night.  That's not a busy street at night during the week. There is no foot traffic after 5 PM. You have to try the key lime pie next time. Chef Wirt's wife, Karen, makes the desserts. Even though the prices might have gone up a little, (the online menu hasn't changed since they opened), I think they are very reasonable for the quality of the food, and compared to Common Lot, which is a lot more expensive, with much smaller portions. Chef Wirt sells some awesome appetizers for $12.00 that other restaurants would price at $17 or $18. His entrees are also pretty reasonably priced compared to other comparable restaurants. We always end up taking home leftovers because of the large portions.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,667 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:11 AM

Thanks, I agree entirely.  I'd go back there in an instant, lots to sample on the menu.

#10 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:08 PM

Sounds as though the dining pattern at Tillie's is typical of so many NJ restaurants -- pretty dead midweek but busy and often slammed on Saturday. Because we do so much dining out when staying in our NYC apartment, we tend to mostly eat at home in NJ. When we do dine out here, it's always midweek. Tillie's is on my "go to" list.

#11 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Yes, Tillie's definitely falls into the suburban NJ dining pattern. They are only open from Wednesday through Sunday because of the lack of Business during the week.

#12 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

My wife & I had another fabulous dinner at Tillie's Saturday night. To start Chef Wirt very generously comped us with two portions of sauteed ramps, asparagus, and mushrooms, which were topped with a perfectly poached egg (with a luscious runny yolk). It was a perfect combination. We also had steak tartare and cod cakes with a claremont salad, which were both excellent as usual. For the main course we both had a special of ginormous crispy soft shell crabs with lentils, ramps, kale, & asparagus. They were nice & meaty. We took home a whole key lime pie.

VZMe2xGh.jpg

dLaL6RTh.jpg

#13 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

A problem I have with Tillie's is that the menu on the website is a "sample" menu.  We might go there this coming week.  paryzer, I'm especially interested in the duck breast.  Is it still on the menu?   

Edited to add:  I don't see anything on the website about reservations.  Do they take them? 

#14 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

Hi Roz. Yes, the duck is still on the menu, & they take reservations. They are open Wednesday through Sunday. Unfortunately, they haven't updated their menu since they first put it up on the website, but the menu usually changes seasonally, depending on what is fresh. A few things like the bacon appetizer and shrimp & grits are constantly on the menu. I highly recommend the key lime pie if you have room left over for dessert.

I would love to hear your review, if & when you decide to go.

#15 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thanks, paryzer! That's good news about the duck and reservations. We generally make it our business to leave room for dessert, we often share one, and Key Lime pie is a favorite. If we go, I'll report back.