42 replies to this topic

#31 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:39 AM

We had another excellent dinner at Tillie's Saturday night. We haven't been there in a few months (since before Mrs. P fractured her wrist). When we arrived there was a nice bottle of Champagne at our table that Chef Wirt & his wife Karen had gifted us for being such good customers. That was so sweet of them. We had also brought a nice bottle of red zinfandel as a present for them (2014 Muscardini Los Chamizal). Below is the current menu.

HHmC9NGh.jpg

Chef Wirt comped us with a delicious smoked chicken & dumpling soup to start. It was very hearty & had a nice smokiness to it. It was perfect for the cold snowy weather outside.

QoJ8FJhh.jpg

We also had an appetizer of steak tartare with capers, cornichon & toasted rye bread.

For entrees Mrs. P has her usual Shrimp & grits with shishito peppers, brandy, hot sauce, & roasted garlic. It's perfect cajun comfort food.grMXcbOh.jpg

I had a really crispy duck confit with white beans,broccoli rabe, & collard greens. It was so flavorful.

6odjFv4h.jpg

We took home a whole key lime pie which we ordered ahead of time.

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#32 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

We had another fabulous dinner at Tillie's Saturday night. We started off with the Steak Tartare appetizer, as well as smoked fish cakes, which consisted of a blend of smoky scallops, cod, & swordfish.

qFC09Xvh.jpg

Then came the outstanding comp of the day which was braised lamb stew with eggplant on the bottom, potatoes, carrots, pearl onions,  black lentils, squash, roasted garlic, & lamb stock, with ritz crackers and fried garlic on top. This was amazing. The lamb was so tender. It was a huge entree sized portion. We took more than half of it home. Chef Wirt is too good to us. He needs to add this to the regular menu.

C4hINHPh.jpg

For entrees Mrs. P had her usual Shrimp & grits & I had the pork chop.

#33 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,656 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:53 AM

It would take a very strong person not to order that pork chop.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#34 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Yes, that pork chop was excellent. Chef Wirt needs to add that braised lamb stew to the regular menu. It was outstanding.

#35 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

paryzer, Thanks for posting the menu each time you visit Tillie’s! We haven’t managed to go again yet. If that lamb dish were to be put on the regular menu, that would certainly be a major incentive.

#36 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

This thread caught my eye because of the reference to Short Hills.  I just endured a very problematic, annoying purchase of wine from The Wine Shop in Short Hills.

On the other hand, Tillie's really looks like an interesting venue.  The dining room looks warm and inviting.  The pricing seems very fair, even attractive.  And, yes, the braised lamb stew looks especially good. 

It seems surprising that the traffic doesn't support being open early in the week.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#37 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

paryzer, Thanks for posting the menu each time you visit Tillie’s! We haven’t managed to go again yet. If that lamb dish were to be put on the regular menu, that would certainly be a major incentive.

My pleasure, Roz!

#38 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

This thread caught my eye because of the reference to Short Hills.  I just endured a very problematic, annoying purchase of wine from The Wine Shop in Short Hills.

On the other hand, Tillie's really looks like an interesting venue.  The dining room looks warm and inviting.  The pricing seems very fair, even attractive.  And, yes, the braised lamb stew looks especially good. 

It seems surprising that the traffic doesn't support being open early in the week.

Peter, I'm sorry that you had the issue with the Wine Shop in Short Hills. I have never heard of them, but I always use The Wine Library, which is down the block from Tillie's (https://winelibrary.com/). They have been around for years, and have a very nice selection at reasonable prices, and are very professional and knowledgeable. I usually order about 2 cases a month from them. They know what I like, and always make great recommendations. They will also do a special order for you if they don't carry a wine you want. They always email me when they have a special, and I have been getting free delivery from them because I am a regular customer. However, I don't think they would extend the free delivery to Texas ;)

The dining room is kind of small, and can get noisy when crowded, but we always go early, at 5PM so we can hear ourselves talk.

The prices are very reasonable for that neighborhood. You would probably pay up to $5 more for an appetizer, and $10 more for an entree, at the more renowned Common Lot a half a mile away.

The braised lamb stew had the perfect combination of textures (crispy crust and fork tender braised lamb).

They only open Wednesday through Sunday since business can be slow during the week. I guess it's the dreaded 'suburbs curse' where nobody seems to eat out during the week (unlike Manhattan). The do have a new townhome community, a few blocks away, within walking distance though.

#39 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

The dining room is kind of small, and can get noisy when crowded, but we always go early, at 5PM

Oops, Tillie's just got marked off my list.  I avoid noisy restaurants like the plague (whenever I can).  But I would carry out from there, if convenient.

I bought the wine from The Wine Shop because it was one of only two shops I could find that had a particular wine I was seeking.  I filed a dispute but then canceled it when the wine unexpectedly got shipped.  Hopefully, I'll remember not to shop there again.  After my difficulties began, I looked at the reviews and there were countless reports of difficulties like I encountered.  Live and learn!

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#40 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:04 AM

I'm not in this dispute, but I'll also put in a good word for Wine Library in Short Hills.  I've shopped there for decades, since Gary Vanyerchuk was behind the counter. Before they expanded the store. Probably since 1995-1996.

Jim Gorman is my go-to guy for wines. When I used to buy a lot of Beaujolais, he looked out for me.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#41 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:33 AM

The dining room is kind of small, and can get noisy when crowded, but we always go early, at 5PM

Oops, Tillie's just got marked off my list.  I avoid noisy restaurants like the plague (whenever I can).  But I would carry out from there, if convenient.

Like you, I avoid noisy restaurants.  I wrote a review on my blog about our dinner at Tillie's which I linked to upthread.  Re-reading it, I noticed that I didn't mention anything about the noise level which is a very good indication that it wasn't loud.  I think paryzer goes there on Saturdays while we were there on a Thursday.  No doubt it's busier and therefore gets noisier on a Saturday than mid-week.  I don't think the space is all that small though tables along the banquette are closer to one another than the free-standing tables in the rest of the room.  (A photo of the room is included in my blog review.)       

#42 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:56 AM

We usually sit in the front of the restaurant, in the corner, by the window. There aren't as many tables there, and you have a little more space. It's also not as noisy.

#43 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

We had another excellent dinner at Tillie's Saturday night.

GXoGkeWh.jpg

The comp of the day was buttermilk fried smelts with homemade tartar sauce. I have never had smelts before. They are like large sardines. They went very well with the tartar sauce.

Il5BuMah.jpg

For entrees, Mrs. P had the pan roasted halibut with black rice, leeks, broccoli tips and greens.

2mHWs4sh.jpg

I had the crispy duck confit with black lentils, butternut squash, and collard greens. It was very good.

9ndqmLUh.jpg