9 replies to this topic

#1 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

Is there any easy way to do this? I also have an external hard drive, where I'd like to eventually transfer all the photos.

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#2 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

you can do this through icloud or by connecting the phone to your macbook with a usb cable using itunes. the photos should go over in the sync. you may have to do it a couple of times. make sure you note how many photos are on the phone and on the computer so that you know if they all got transferred. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

I would encourage in the strongest terms possible not to use iPhoto for this. I actually sync our phones to our shared Google drive.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:10 PM

I use the photo software that came with my camera. If you have a small digital camera, I'm sure there's some photo downloading software available.

#5 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:26 PM

Using antedeluvian tech logic, I just mail selected photos from iphone to my email account.   I don't like syncing from phone to computer since I have a lot of crap on my phone I don't want to take time to delete from either.    I pull image from emailed message to desktop or to photo storage account.   I also have a dinosaur saddle.   

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#6 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:29 PM

I would encourage in the strongest terms possible not to use iPhoto for this. I actually sync our phones to our shared Google drive.

Curious why no iPhoto?

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,797 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

Curious why no iPhoto?

iphoto was retired by apple last year and replaced with photos for osX.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

Do they still use the no file structure file structure?

Basically you can't see the as individual files which makes them annoying to deal with.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#9 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:40 PM

certainly the easiest is just to turn on the icloud photo library on both your phone and MacBook (set it to download originals on the MacBook).  you can of course transfer files with iTunes (although I avoid this) wirelessly (you can use a USB cable too but there's no need).

If you don't want to use icloud or iTunes, use Box, dropbox, googledrive or even create a WebDAV server on the MacBook and use Documents or Goodreader.  basically there's like 30 ways to do it.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#10 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,004 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

or just Airdrop them...that's incredibly easy (I wouldn't do that with hundreds or thousands of photos though...best using a cloud or server solution then)

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.