19 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

Nice mention by Nicolosi Fine Foods of this customer.  Certainly a  range of choices

Ramen fried chicken

Fresh Oee Sobagi aka Spicy Cucumber Kimchi

Chonut (sliced Creekstone Farms brisket on a glazed donut)

They're in the original El Caney space. A tiny hole in the wall at 49 west Church Street in Bergenfield, at the railroad tracks (!). An enjoyable place to get something to eat, have a beer and watch trains on a war summer evening.

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/kimchismoke/

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

Made Pete Genovese's list of real deal bbq places in the Star-Ledger.  Note that this is an incredibly small place (two tables inside, four outside) and is open only Thursday - Saturday.

http://www.nj.com/en...art_river_index

They make a wicked smoked kim-chee cheese pork pile on a doughnut, I've heard...  Elisa Ung was seduced by this awful sounding but quite delicious concoction

http://www.northjers...-food-1.1567747

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 12:42 AM

Opening a second location up the road in Westwood.

http://www.northjers...twood-1.1648866

#4 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

Kimchi Smoke is permanently closing their Bergenfield location to fully concentrate on the new Westwood location. September 24th will be the last day at the Bergenfield location.

'Joining Cho at the new location will be Victor Oravetz, former line cook at the East Rutherford dining institution Park and Orchard, and chef Timothy Culver, who was the head chef at Park and Orchard for more than 30 years.'

Below is the link to the article in NJ.com 

http://www.northjers...venue-1.1663297

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I enjoyed the Bergenfield location.  It's adjacent to the railroad, so you can grab a table outside (back when they had tables outside), order food, pop a (self provided) cold beer, and watch trains go by.  Did the same with El Caney when it was in that location.  I'll probably do the same with the next food joint to go into that tiny place.

Edited by Rail Paul, 20 September 2016 - 11:43 PM.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Visited Kimchi Smoke last night for a farewell.  Pretty much as I remember it.  Excellent brisket, good kimchi, lots of pepper paste.  Essentially, it's Texas BBQ with Korean accents. I didn't have the cronut with pulled pork or brisket, kimchi, and cheese

Good fries topped with Korean slaw / smoked kimchi, pieces of pulled pork.  Good sized helping with lots of peppery paste sauce.

Pulled pork sandwich, sauce, and slaw on a large hamburger roll.

Austin Cho brisket, sauce, kimchi, cheese, bacon, scallions on a ramen bun.  Very good, but expensive for what you got.

They were doing a pretty healthy business after 6.30pm. They're at a point where all the NYC buses stop across the street, so there was a steady stream of commuters.  Some buses turn left to Oradell, while others turn right to Creskill and Dumont.  Good, diverse crowd, many of whom picked up orders previously phoned in,

We sat at the table in front, by the small smoker.  Huge wood pile of oak chips.  Some looked like they might have been scraps from a wood shop, others were eight inch long logs.

They hope to open the Westwood store "in a few weeks". 40 seats, much more cooking space, hope to expand the catering business.

There's a little Thai restaurant in the closet space across the street.  I'll have to check that out next time I'm in the area.

#7 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

Very unfortunate! The Thai place across the street is solid American-ized Thai, the usual curry and stir-fry menu, but done well.

#8 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

Reilly's Rib Cage will be moving into the old Kimchi Smoke location in Bergenfeld. They will feature Southern BBQ run by a Father & son duo. They are scheduled to open sometime in January. Below is a link to their menu.

http://www.documentc...-Cage-Menu.html

Reilly’s Rib Cage, a Southern barbecue joint, is moving into the former Kimchi Smoke location in Bergenfield. Father-and-son duo Danny and James Reilly are behind the new venture, which prides itself on its high-quality smoked meats and dishes such as ribs, brisket, pulled pork and chicken. Everything, says Danny, will be made fresh daily, including their signature pineapple Hennessy BBQ sauce; all leftovers will be donated to a local food charity. 

Their hours will be Tuesday through Saturday from 12-8, Sunday 12-6 or until they run out. Outdoor seating will be available in the spring/summer, and the restaurant is BYOB. Reilly plans on opening sometime in early January, with soft opening dates to be announced on their Instagram and Facebook.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the info. That's a great little shop to incubate a food business. Commercial zone, multiple NY buses stop on the corner, easy parking, etc

#10 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Boozy Burbs reports that Kimchi Smoke is expanding to Montclair. Woo Hoo :D  This is great news. I have been dying to try this place, but it was a little bit out of the way. Montclair is less than a half hour away from me. It looks like Chef Cho will be moving into the former Escape restaurant location at 345 Bloomfield Avenue. He will be joined by Timothy Culvert, the former Executive Chef at the old Park & Orchard. They hope to open this second location of Kimchi Smoke sometime in April.

http://www.boozyburb...moke-montclair/

#11 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

The only bad part is that parking sucks in that part of Montclair (which is what probably doomed Escape). I would have gone to Escape more often but the parking situation there was horrible. The nearest parking lot is a few blocks away & the majority of the spots are reserved for resident parking. The winter months are the worst since nobody wants to walk a few blocks in the freezing cold or snow. I hope chef Cho has better luck at that lousy location.

#12 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I had lunch at Kimchi Smoke in Westwood this weekend.  It was delightful, of course.

On Sundays, the place opens at 1pm.  By 12.45, there were a half dozen people waiting. Four foodies who were meeting up for the first time, two people from Queens, and me.

Wings were fine, as usual.  Very fragrant. Shoulder redneck taco was good, liked that a lot.  They also had a bulgogi burger on the menu. Haven't seen that before. Wonderful, fragrant strips, lots of vegetables and sauce cooked down with the beef. In a brioche bun. I have the sense the daily menu shakes things up, combines items, etc. They were apparently out of brisket, based on what the counter guy told the group of four.

I ate outside, in the warm sun. By the time I left, there were probably 25-30 people inside.  Several brought their own knives and plates for dividing the treasure.

#13 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:43 AM

I finally made it to Kimchi Smoke in Westwood. My wife wasn't feeling well, so I placed an online order for pickup. I ordered a bunch of items to get a nice sampling. Surprisingly, the Westwood location was only 25 minutes away from my home. It is located in a strip mall with plenty of parking. It is in the corner, and was pretty clean. It may be worth it to come here, instead of going to the new Montclair location, since it is easier to find parking here. I ordered the K Town Dog ( Hot dog with Bourbon Chipotle sauce (BCS), smoked Kimchi Chili, and scallions), Korean Redneck Tacos (smoked pork shoulder, BCS, Korean slaw, & Kimchi), Cholander Mac & Cheese (3 cheese blend topped with pulled pork, BCS, & smoked kimchi), Chonut 2.1 (smoked brisket, smoked kimchi, cheese, bacon, scallions, on a glazed donut), the bulgogi burger, smoked kimchi, and baby back ribs. I really enjoyed the Chonut 2.1. As ridiculous as it sounds, it was very well balanced. the glazed donut really added a nice sweetness to offset the rest of the ingredients. The Korean Redneck tacos were also excellent. The Hot dog was very good and the baby back ribs were very meaty and not fatty at all. The mac & cheese was very good. I loved the BCS sauce & the smoked kimchi. The bulgogi burger was just a little too tough & fatty. However, it might have tasted differently if I had it fresh & hot, instead of taking it home. I am looking forward to coming back here again. I just have to make sure I have the EMT on call :) 

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

I can certainly see the bulgogi burger toughening up with a half hour car ride.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  I've enjoyed the Iron Horse (which you likely passed, right by the railroad crossing), and ELA has mentioned Jack's from time to time.

#15 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:19 AM

Yes, Westwood seems like a nice town.