1 reply to this topic

#1 silvergryphon

silvergryphon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:28 PM

These two recipes are from a website here in Canada. I've made both recipes but I used a different essential oil fragrance - I like patchouli for my feet and lavender for my hands. They work great...at least for me...and I have really dry skin! I make it up and use it twice a week...at least as long as it's cold and dry. I'll have to adjust usage for the summer.
The site is here
It caters to the Canadian market only, but there are some great tips and recipes for personal and home use.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peppermint Treat for Tired Feet

The feet can take a lot of abuse, especially when most of us spend hours everyday on them. Spas offer pedicures, reflexology, and cold water foot walks to relax our feet. Here's a home version that feels every bit as good.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp olive oil (or Vitamin E oil if available)
10 drops peppermint essential oil
3 hand towels (2 warm and dampened, 1 dry)
1 pair of cotton socks

TREATMENT:
1. Add 6 drops peppermint oil into warm bath water and soak feet for five minutes
2. Stir salt and 1 tablespoon of Vaseline
3. Soak 2 hand towels in warm tap water and wring out
4. Remove one foot from bath and scrub with treatment, wipe clean with warm moist towel (Note: Make sure towels aren't too hot before applying to skin)
5. Replace foot in bath and repeat with other foot
6. Stir 4 drops peppermint oil and olive oil with 1 tablespoon Vaseline
7. Remove one foot again, pat dry, massage Vaseline oil treatment into feet and over ankles
8. Repeat the above with other foot
9. Place cotton socks on feet

Mix is enough for one use only. Any remaining mixture is not preserved, and must be discarded. Please follow recipe exactly as written - changes are not recommended.

Caution:
Be careful when using near eyes, cuts or abrasions as sea salt in treatment may cause stinging. Wash towels after treatment as they may absorb a little of the treatment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bedtime Hand Bliss

Most spas offer beautifying paraffin hand baths and cosmetic-based anti-aging hand treatments in addition to classic manicures. This simple home spa hand treatment is best done at night to let the effects soak in.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon Vaseline
6 drops chamomile essential oil
1/2 tablespoon olive oil (may substitute Vitamin E oil)
1 lemon
2 cups water
1 pair of mittens, gloves, or socks
1 warmed and dampened wash cloth

Treatment:
1. Soak wash cloth in warm tap water and wring out.
2. Add juice of lemon to water in 2 bowls, soak hands for five minutes.
3. Wipe hands with warm moist washcloth (Note: Make sure towels aren't too hot before applying to skin).
4. Work cuticles with stick, trim and file nails.
5. Mix Vaseline with essential oil and olive oil (Note: Vitamin E oil can be substituted for olive oil).
6. Massage mixture into hands for five minutes then cover with mittens, gloves, or socks.
7. Let Vaseline do its moisturizing magic for at least one hour, preferably all night.

Mix is enough for one use only. Any remaining mixture is not preserved, and must be discarded. Please follow recipe exactly as written - changes are not recommended.

Caution:
Avoid using treatment on eyes, cuts or abrasions as juice from citrus fruits may cause stinging.

Anyone who says "cooking is in the blood" when talking about professionals is talking out of their ass. Eating is in the blood. An appreciation of the glories of the table, of good ingredients well prepared, is in the blood. The enjoyment of a long lunch - at table with good friends, tearing into the good stuff made with love and pride - that, arguably, is in the blood, or at least in your cultural heritage.

-Tony Bourdain - Les Halles Cookbook

#2 persimmon

persimmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for these recipes s.g.

I'll give them a try, even though where I live, we have so much moisture in the air right now, everyone's covered in mould/mold. :rolleyes: