20 replies to this topic

#1 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:02 AM

Went here last night for a quick dinner. I was never super keen on Charlie Bird but was curious about the pizzas here.

The braised leeks with Parmigiano and walnuts was soothing and good. A simple but smart dish.

Diavola pizza -- basically a Margherita with spicy salami, Provolone, chile, and mint -- was tasty but some of the Provolone cubes had not melted and I found the combination of Mozzarella and Provolone strange. The salami had good funk. The crust of the pizzas is comparable to Franny's in style, the crust a little more crisp with less of the satisfying chew you usually get at Franny's.

The clam pizza was what really called Franny's to mind. Whereas I love the freshness of the Franny's version, this clam pizza tasted exactly like clam chowder - and not in a good way. It was heavy on the palate. They served it with a lemon wedge.

$22 and $24 respectively for the pizzas, with the prices including service.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:49 PM

As someone who never cottoned to Charlie Bird, I, too, approached this place with limited expectations.  Which were fairly far exceeded.

This place is one of the those confusing there's-pizza-but-there-are-also-main-courses places.  Thing is, though, a lot of the food is good.

Places like this tend to rise and fall on their antipasti.  Here, the leeks, sure, just like johanna said.  Also the cauliflower -- really good -- and I don't remember what else we had, but it was all very good.

Slight falldown on the pastas.  Which were fine, don't get me wrong, but not really special.

The pizza was good -- but I live around the corner from Franny's, and this wasn't as good as that.

The main dish, though!  All the main dishes are roasted in the huge pizza ovens.  We had a pork shank for two, crispy on the outside (just perfect!) and moist and tender on the inside, beautifully herbed.  This dish is within the special purview of former Dave Santos associate Emily Chapman -- and it's a joy to watch how fixed her concentration is when making it.  Not as much of a joy as eating it, though.

This is one of those places that really calls you back.  I'd like to try more of those oven-roasted main courses.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

Charlie Bird is better. The pizza and pasta are fine, but you can get great pizza and pasta at a lot of places.

Man about town.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:20 PM

I think the pork shank I had here was better than anything I've had at Charlie Bird.

Indeed, I think the antipasti were as well.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

I wanted to get that pork shank too but they were out of it.  (Maybe that tainted my opinion of the place.)  I got the $125 steak for two - it was alright.  But I've had better steaks at steakhouses.

Man about town.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:32 PM

I'm not surprised.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:35 PM

I might go back just to try the pork shank.

Man about town.

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

If they still have the smoked pheasant, that looks promising, too.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,947 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:13 AM

This restaurant's calzones got a mention in June GQ piece on best new places in the US.  The ones selected from NYC were Mimi, Untitled and Wildair.

From LA, Baroo, Cassia and Moruno.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#10 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 85,866 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:19 AM

They didn't sous vide the pork shank and serve it as a ball of quivering, unrendered fat? Not so hip, then.

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:57 AM

It's pretty rad, really:  they cook their food.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

Embarrassing appetizers, nice but not great pizza - really not what I was thinking a clam pie would be like, good dry aged steak. Nice people but they should try harder.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:53 AM

Go to Franny's before it closes.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,696 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:03 AM

We just might

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#15 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

franny's has really paired down the menu but the clam pie I had today was just as good as ever.