143 replies to this topic

#136 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

It wasn't the people noise that was intrusive; it was the music. I really hope that maybe they toned it down.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#137 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

The other night at Iratze, I felt I had to order an insane wine, from Australia yet, very against my protocol. Listed as a blend of Pinot noir, Cabernet, Pinot Gris and Gevertz. After a double take, head scratch and chat with the som, I agreed to it. I can only compare it to laughing gas as it made me smile throughout that course which featured dove. A serious wine, no way but it was quite delicious. I neglected to take pic of bottle but will long remember it. Vin de Sofa, 2016

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#138 Guest_Ptipois_*

Guest_Ptipois_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

How did you like the food?

#139 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

It was a mixed bag, from exceptional to difficult.   Beautifully sourced, excellent technique and certainly creative.  

24563259998_45bbfb8651_z.jpg

Several plates were stunning and totally delicious; several others juxtaposed flavors that I had trouble making peace with.   Simply put, the chef and I weren't entirely on the same page that night.    Interestingly, the waiter whom we know from previous locations and visits, came up after the meal and asked how we had enjoyed the meal.    We told him very much.    He countered, "Honestly.   Did you really like it or not so much?"   I don't think I've ever been asked that before.    Interesting.  

In all events, this is a place high on our list of "return to"s.       Always interesting plates, adorable service and tender tab.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#140 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:06 PM

I'm going to divulge one of my all-time favorite restaurants, knowing it won't be spoiled because none of you will go there.    The chef is an attorney who decided to follow his passion.   So glad he did.    He set up his 12 seat shop a block or so from the Belleville Metro on a graffiti covered alley.

Here, 2/3 of his seating capacity plus street view.
40860309183_70b747b431_c.jpg

The menu changes daily, is short, and iinexpensive,  the simple descriptions hiding both product quality and kitchen skill.
32882944757_aa1f96fdd7_c.jpg

Husband started with the oeuf mayo, always available but seldom the same way twice.   Pic seems lost.  

I went for ris de veau with jumbo asparagus and hazelnuts.    While we were bombarded with asparagus this visit, this simple treatment with brown butter was by far the best.  The sweetbreads were perfect: crusty, buttery exterior -> custardy interior.   Excellent flavor.   Divine jus.
33949400138_3dc48b18c3_c.jpg

Husband's plate = Duroc pork.    Perfect cooking, great flavor and texture and, again, great jus.  He raved.
33949402048_f7617da0ff_c.jpg

My lieu jaune was just cooked through, with shatteringly crisp skin.   I almost asked for a side order of additional skin.
33949400738_8f7f9a6976_c.jpg

Husband couldn't quite believe it when I also ordered the chocolate cake, strawberries and cream next since I usually shun desserts.     Good instincts this time.  
33949401418_5c3f916891_c.jpg

With 3 glasses of wine, tab was an embarrassing €98.    This meal was early on in our visit and I waited for one to surpass it in simple perfection..    None really did.   Plus Jean-Marc Sinceux is a sweet and generous host.   

DESNOYEZ, all we ask for in a meal.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#141 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:33 AM

I’ve read this thread as it has developed over its 3 years &, as with many threads concerning places we visit, it has stuff that interests me. Our last trip to Paris 4 or so years ago was very much informed by MFF & CH postings that came before this. However, now that we’ve been staying in Paris for 3 weeks, I’ve re-read the last 5 or so pages of the thread & — hey, I can relate to the actual content! I actually know the places and the issues that are being talked about. That’s all. Just a nice moment.

This space available… contact owner.

#142 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,940 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:36 PM

"a l'encre" meaning squid ink with the oeufs mayo? I have a hard time visualising the dish but sounds interesting. Would go well with the bottarga...

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#143 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

I'm going to divulge one of my all-time favorite restaurants, knowing it won't be spoiled because none of you will go there.    The chef is an attorney who decided to follow his passion.   So glad he did.    He set up his 12 seat shop a block or so from the Belleville Metro on a graffiti covered alley.

Here, 2/3 of his seating capacity plus street view.
40860309183_70b747b431_c.jpg

The menu changes daily, is short, and iinexpensive,  the simple descriptions hiding both product quality and kitchen skill.
32882944757_aa1f96fdd7_c.jpg

Husband started with the oeuf mayo, always available but seldom the same way twice.   Pic seems lost.  

I went for ris de veau with jumbo asparagus and hazelnuts.    While we were bombarded with asparagus this visit, this simple treatment with brown butter was by far the best.  The sweetbreads were perfect: crusty, buttery exterior -> custardy interior.   Excellent flavor.   Divine jus.
33949400138_3dc48b18c3_c.jpg

Husband's plate = Duroc pork.    Perfect cooking, great flavor and texture and, again, great jus.  He raved.
33949402048_f7617da0ff_c.jpg

My lieu jaune was just cooked through, with shatteringly crisp skin.   I almost asked for a side order of additional skin.
33949400738_8f7f9a6976_c.jpg

Husband couldn't quite believe it when I also ordered the chocolate cake, strawberries and cream next since I usually shun desserts.     Good instincts this time.  
33949401418_5c3f916891_c.jpg

With 3 glasses of wine, tab was an embarrassing €98.    This meal was early on in our visit and I waited for one to surpass it in simple perfection..    None really did.   Plus Jean-Marc Sinceux is a sweet and generous host.   

DESNOYEZ, all we ask for in a meal.

Do you know if he opened up elsewhere when this closed?

#144 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

Since everyone seems to be behaving themselves today and mostly for my lurker friends who have probably already reserved: It's finally open!