138 replies to this topic

#136 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:46 PM

It wasn't the people noise that was intrusive; it was the music. I really hope that maybe they toned it down.

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#137 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

The other night at Iratze, I felt I had to order an insane wine, from Australia yet, very against my protocol. Listed as a blend of Pinot noir, Cabernet, Pinot Gris and Gevertz. After a double take, head scratch and chat with the som, I agreed to it. I can only compare it to laughing gas as it made me smile throughout that course which featured dove. A serious wine, no way but it was quite delicious. I neglected to take pic if bottle but will long remember it. Vin de Sofa, 2016

#138 Ptipois

Ptipois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

How did you like the food?

Lieu jaune lobbyist

À la petite cuillère

#139 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

It was a mixed bag, from exceptional to difficult.   Beautifully sourced, excellent technique and certainly creative.  

24563259998_45bbfb8651_z.jpg

Several plates were stunning and totally delicious; several others juxtaposed flavors that I had trouble making peace with.   Simply put, the chef and I weren't entirely on the same page that night.    Interestingly, the waiter whom we know from previous locations and visits, came up after the meal and asked how we had enjoyed the meal.    We told him very much.    He countered, "Honestly.   Did you really like it or not so much?"   I don't think I've ever been asked that before.    Interesting.  

In all events, this is a place high on our list of "return to"s.       Always interesting plates, adorable service and tender tab.