135 replies to this topic

#106 aek

aek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

There's certainly stuff that looks great, but others not so much, and some of those popped up right around when I was making reservations. Like I said, extremely scientific... I'm not working with evgeny's bankroll, so have to narrow things down somehow.😎

https://instagram.com/p/BLlyw7mh_JE/

https://instagram.com/p/BLqQlcABAUY/

#107 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:26 PM

Fair enough. I don't know if there's a better meal to be had in the world than that enginozgir meal (that sole dish is stunning with chanterelles and asparagus in the spring, I can only imagine with white truffle). Better cozy up to putin.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#108 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:53 AM

They moved to Macau?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#109 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:06 AM

The NYT Travel section has a nice write up on Shakespeare & Company.  37, Rue de la Bucherie,opposite the Cathedral of Notre Dame.  A new feature is the adjacent coffee shop.

http://www.nytimes.c...pe=sectionfront

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#110 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:52 AM

This is as much a question as a rec. Last night we ate at a new wine bar in fast-becoming-hipster-central Belleville. Cool redo of a storefront on a cobblestoned alley. Warm welcome, good table, Chalkboard offered dozens of promising small plates. BUT the music was deafening. Close to impossible to order or talk across the table. And of course diners and drinkers raised their voices in order to be heard. Food was fabulous but we can't return nor recommend this delicious kitchen.

So, my question: while I understand that a quiet restaurant is an anthems, why is super loud considered a positive? Are 25-early 30s people deaf or impervious to sound from playing their iPods at top volume? Are all kitchen zoned out on dope?

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#111 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:53 AM

They want to feel like they're in a club.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#112 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,484 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

They want to feel like they're in a club.

At a party, but yes.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#113 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

I certainly understand this when your product is ordinary or not outstanding, but when you have extraordinary content to sell, I.e., really double-take inducing food, do you really have to dumb down the ambiance thus much? Did Rose at Le Coucou ?

#114 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

They don't view it as dumbing down the ambience.  They're going for a clientele that prefers/wants/expects/demands that.  And maybe they want it themselves.

Everybody talks about how "old" Le CouCou's clientele is.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#115 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,766 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

Read this interview with someone opening a new iteration of a restaurant in New York and you'll see what I mean.  The original iteration of this restaurant got excellent reviews, its chef-owner came from what is now The Number One Restaurant In The World, it did well enough to warrant moving into a larger space (for clarity, the new space is less remote, more accessible, than the original space was):  the chef-owner didn't "need" this ambience.  He wanted it.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#116 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

This is as much a question as a rec. Last night we ate at a new wine bar in fast-becoming-hipster-central Belleville. Cool redo of a storefront on a cobblestoned alley. Warm welcome, good table, Chalkboard offered dozens of promising small plates. BUT the music was deafening. Close to impossible to order or talk across the table. And of course diners and drinkers raised their voices in order to be heard. Food was fabulous but we can't return nor recommend this delicious kitchen.

So, my question: while I understand that a quiet restaurant is an anthems, why is super loud considered a positive? Are 25-early 30s people deaf or impervious to sound from playing their iPods at top volume? Are all kitchen zoned out on dope?

Okay, so what's the name of the place?

And -  you can pretty much thank NYC for the noise levels, in my opinion.  I'm pretty sure on our first couple of trips to Europe, the music was low or non existent.

#117 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

FWIW. it was Le Grand Bain, new room by Edward Delling-Williams, previously of Au Passage and chef-counsel for Martin.    As I remember, AP was moderately loud, Martin was not, probably because so much custom was on the terrace.    You're right that for the most part, restaurants in France are not terribly loud, compared to the US.    And maybe he brought this ambiance across the Channel from London.   

We just like his food and had hoped to be able to enjoy it, both that night and in the future.   Often a restaurant will be loud at the beginning of each service as people talk while waiting for food, but once food arrives, it's amusing how the decibels drop.    A stupidly simple solution would be to start service with moderate background track and amp it up at second seating,    

Also FWIW,  the crowd on the night we were there didn't look like clubbers.   Even wannabe clubbers.   But what do I know...

#118 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,766 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:53 PM

They don't have to look like clubbers, or wanna-be clubbers.

They just have to look like they're much younger than us.

And remember:  for every restaurant that repels us because of the noise level, there are more that repel them because of perceived staidness.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#119 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:42 PM

They don't have to look like clubbers, or wanna-be clubbers.

They just have to look like they're much younger than us.

And remember:  for every restaurant that repels us because of the noise level, there are more that repel them because of perceived staidness.

Don't get me wrong.    We don't do anything that even approaches staid.   That was the original gist of this thread.    And we are always the oldest table anywhere we book, but no one seems to care.   Average age in the places we haunt is, I would guess, 35.    And all have some kind of music, mostly soft jazz or retro American pop.    But not at wall-throbbing volume.    

#120 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

We don't do anything that even approaches staid. 

Very true - you and the rest of the SF gang are very cool!!!