101 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:13 PM

Dee and I had the opportunity to see this musical recently. It's a wonderful, disorienting, exciting view of America's past. Delivered via rap.

The premise is a mostly accurate telling of the messy birth of the American Republic, and its (still) unfinished promise of equality under law and free expression. The cast is an aggressively diverse group of wonderful performers, burning off thousands of calories in hyperactivity.

Hamilton is a young man in a hurry, with much to be accomplished. Burr is a young man with few fixed beliefs, but a hunger for power, while Lafayette, Washington and others fight a rebellion and try to forge a new country.  The Schuyler sisters drive much of the action. Eliza, Hamilton's wife, seeks to manage a family as her husband moves in many directions. Her sister, Angelica, seeks a "balance" with Alexander and Eliza.

Daveed Diggs is wonderful as Lafayette/Jefferson. He raps, dances, slides down banisters, and seeks power.  He stands out as an actor / singer / dancer likely to be seen again and again.

I'd suggest anyone interested in seeing the musical acquire the sound track. WNYC had it on offer for a modest gift, and it's widely available. Understanding the music and flow of characters is extremely helpful. The music and rap moves very fast, and the visuals are wonderful.

POLITICS ALERT

There are lots of clever comments on current events.

"Women, urge your husbands to vote for Burr."

"Why aren't the people who fought in the all-black units included in that "all men are created equal stuff""

"You are seeking votes from the people? That sets an awful precedent"

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

The book of the show is currently #1 NY Times bestseller. I wonder how Ron Chernow feels.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

I was pleased to learn that the cast is participating in the future licensing profits.

The show is the result of more than five years of work with Miranda, Chernow, and several of the current cast. Diggs, Goldsberry, Odom, and others have invested years in their characters, developing a richness that would just not exist with a read through and walk-on.   Previous experience included several workshops, staged presentations, and extensive research.

Not surprisingly, the innovation created a problem with conventional investors.  But, they prevailed.  Whether this becomes the norm for long gestating shows will be interesting to see.

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

Good for them! NY Times article on the profit-sharing here. Not the first, but still not many others.

For those who can't get enough of the show: a friend is selling Hamiltines and other Hamilton-inspired stuff on Etsy. I am not privy to what arrangement she has made with the producers et al, but I do believe it's all kosher. [/shilling :P ]

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:54 PM

The Times reports on the plans to sell premium seats for $849 from the box office.  Scalper seats are running a grand to $1200.  The producers blame the bots for taking tickets, although there have long been reports that group sales tickets leak out too.

As L-M Miranda is reported to be leaving in several weeks, and the Tonys are coming up, the fever to get tickets has risen. Not mentioned, but Javier Munoz has been playing the Miranda role consistently at least once per week.  Sometimes two or three performances.  I believe he was the designated player during the workshops at Williamstown.

Readers of the Times aren't pleased with the $849 plan, seeing it as a further crass profit grab.

http://www.nytimes.c...=RecEngine&_r=0

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,710 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:50 AM

the story of how my high school social studies teacher inspired a national craze

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:41 PM

I'm trying to think of a concept that I would find less appealing than "rap on Broadway" I know everyone says it's good, it just can't be.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#8 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

I'm trying to think of a concept that I would find less appealing than "rap on Broadway" I know everyone says it's good, it just can't be.

yes.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#9 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:46 PM

BTW Hamilton mania is such that the WSJ had an interactive thing exploring rhyme schemes in classic hip-hop and how they are used by Lin-Miranda.

Like come the f'ck on.  

#10 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

I was unimpressed by the excerpts in the Tony awards.

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

Have you seen any of it?

I disagree with Lippy.  Everything I've seen from the show has been impressive.  What's striking is the way that the hip hop elements are absorbed into what is still a very traditional musical format.  I think, looking back, people will see this as a transformative show in the way Showboat and Oklahoma were transformative.  It's clearly brought a very big new audience to Broadway musicals, something I would have thought impossible.

#12 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

Have you seen any of it?

I disagree with Lippy.  Everything I've seen from the show has been impressive.  What's striking is the way that the hip hop elements are absorbed into what is still a very traditional musical format.  I think, looking back, people will see this as a transformative show in the way Showboat and Oklahoma were transformative.  It's clearly brought a very big new audience to Broadway musicals, something I would have thought impossible.

I'm sure all of this is true.  Just my biases are such that "hip-hop musical" isn't something I'm going to see. I know I'm wrong. Its not rational. I'm just not interested.

#13 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 84,442 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

I think that's a perfectly fair position.  From what I've seen, it's much better than many "rock" musicals.  Remember when that was a revolutionary concept?  School of Rock, for example, looks horrible.

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,531 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

Have you seen any of it?

I have not.. I really have zero interest..(but will listen to some songs on youtube today) The last concept musical/broadway thing I went to was Avenue Q.. Alicia and I sat third row center and I gave her the look and we left after the second song.. Just couldn't handle it. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,702 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

I look forward to finally getting in to see the Louis Tomlinson/Rupert Grint cast in 2025.

Bar Loser

MF Old