101 replies to this topic

#91 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,828 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

The thing is not to get too worked up about whether it's "really" hip-hop.  OF COURSE it isn't.  It's show music.   But it's show music of such complexity, with a libretto with so much intellectual heft, that it stands with the best of Sondheim and, indeed, the best of American musical theater.

Ok, that makes more sense to me.. still not going but, i understand it put like that. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#92 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

The discussion of late has been of the guys. How about the women?  The lyrics offer a wide opportunity for voices of all kinds to excel.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#93 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

To me, the performances were sort of beside the point.  Everyone was competent-plus -- as you'd expect in the premiere show on Broadway.

But it's the work itself that's so impressive, that constitutes (here comes the hyperbole -- but it's deserved, it's deserved) such a major contribution to American culture (and not just popular culture).

That's why I think the show is surviving cast changes so well, without having to import extraneous star performers.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#94 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

The thing is not to get too worked up about whether it's "really" hip-hop.  OF COURSE it isn't.  It's show music.   But it's show music of such complexity, with a libretto with so much intellectual heft, that it stands with the best of Sondheim and, indeed, the best of American musical theater.

Ok, that makes more sense to me.. still not going but, i understand it put like that. 

Of course, I went for free.

There's no way in hell it's worth what tickets now cost.

Go to the fucking opera.  It's much cheaper.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#95 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:54 AM

The thing is not to get too worked up about whether it's "really" hip-hop.  OF COURSE it isn't.  It's show music.   But it's show music of such sophistication, with a libretto with so much intellectual heft, that it stands with the best of Sondheim and, indeed, the best of American musical theater.

What Hamilton gets from rap is a verbal acuity that makes the libretto something that even Sondheim would envy -- worthy, I think, of W.S. Gilbert (who unsurprisingly is quoted at one point).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#96 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

The soundtrack is on youtube, and I've been listening to it for several months now (on and off, not constantly like a crazy person... mostly) and I dig it.  Leslie Odum was sent from the gods. 

#97 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:16 PM

Can anyone tell me the current pricing for Hamilton tickets? A 2016 NYTimes article says:

In the new block of tickets, about 200 seats at every “Hamilton” performance — mostly in the center orchestra — will be sold for $849. The rest of the house — everything but the lottery tickets, or about 1,075 seats per show — will be sold for between $179 and $199 (currently, the regular seats are priced from $139 to $177).

But on broadway.com, the tickets for tonight in the front mezzanine (first row, but far stage left seats - or is that stage right?) are $285, so I'm assuming the prices have gone up since 2016. 

I "have been randomly selected to receive an invitation for the HAMILTON Verified Fan Presale" and have the first window to get tickets (10am eastern time). I'm shooting for tickets in May if anyone wants to join us, assuming I can even get tickets (I can buy up to 8 tickets, and am planning to get 2)! But I will not be getting tickets in the $800+ seats, more likely in the cheap seats.

#98 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,828 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

I would look in to stub hub pricing. It may be prudent to purchase all 8 and scalp them on line
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#99 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

I considered it, but I was going to try to sell to friends or acquaintances at cost. But given the current exchange rate, and the possibility of sitting around people I barely know, I decided against it. I might still see if my pre-sale code still works and get more, but at $350 a ticket (once exchange rate is factored in), I'd want to unload the extras asap!

#100 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

And to answer my own question, current pricing is $199 and $235 for the regular people seats.

#101 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:47 AM

If it helps your rationalization, tickets for 4-6 year old idols, Paw Patrol, cost an average just short of $200 for prime seats.    Asked if I wanted to join the grandkids, I balked.  

If Hamilton fuels your heart, go for it.   If not...

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#102 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,322 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:46 AM

For a kids concert?!?? That's nuts!!

I did get tickets for a show during the week of my birthday next year. I forgot that's also the week of mother's day. Should've booked a week earlier or later, but oh well!

You've got plenty of time to book a trip to nyc for our date at Mekelburg's, voyager!