#181 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I liked but didn't love Olmsted.

Mostly it was a service issue. The smaller dishes came out very slowly. There was a 20 minute gap between our chawanmushi and carrot crepe being served, which was surprising as the restaurant wasn't packed. Then the Thai-style scallops (with papaya salad) and the guinea fowl were served at the same time, which seemed strange as they weren't at all complementary and our server had made a point of saying the dishes would come out individually from the kitchen.

The only weak dish was the guinea fowl. The breast meat was verging on cold and the vivid green stuffing lacked flavor.

The grilled scallops were truly beautifully cooked and of very good quality. The carrot crepe and crawfish crackers were also excellent.

When was it not busy?  Yeh, i didn't like that guinea fowl either. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#182 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

Yeah, when was it not busy?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#183 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

A weeknight around 8pm. (We had a reservation.) They were probably staggering their reservations but the bar was mostly empty, the chef's counter in front of the kitchen was empty, and there were a few free tables. The bar and tables did fill up by the time we left. The chef's counter was still empty.

#184 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

It's funny that I live like a block away from the hottest restaurant in Brooklyn and never go.  But you can't get in:  who needs that craziness?  We managed to slip in, early, on this week's no-reservations Monday.  It was even better than I remembered it.  Like others, I might find the style of cooking a little prissy.  And the food remains a little uneven.  But to get cooking this imaginative at these prices . . . what can you say?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#185 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,006 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 01:47 AM

What's the advantage over Otway, which is accessible? Surely not price. The style is different but I prefer Otway's style.

In other words, if you gifted me an 8pm table at Olmsted, I'd rather go to Otway.

Stirrings Still at the Pig: Boston and Made Nice

At the Sign of the Pink Pig

#186 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

I prefer Otway, too.

The advantage is a two-minute walk as against a 15-minute walk.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#187 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

(Also, I guess SOMETIMES you might be more in the mood for more elaborate food.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#188 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

(Once Olmsted opens their French bistro across the street and I can't get in there, you'll REALLY hear me whining.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#189 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

I didn't enjoy my sole dinner at Olmsted, but I was legitimately excited when I read Sneak's post above.  I dunno why — snobbery, probably.

OK, I am also excited that a respectable restaurant in brownstone Brooklyn will be open till 1 am.

[DNAInfo and Gothamist are online again, but what happened this week makes me feel much less critical of websites paraphrasing other websites' content.]

#190 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I forgot about the 1 AM part.  Hope the neighborhood doesn't block that.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#191 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

Often at Olmsted I feel like the ideas are a little better than the food.  So I'm happy to report that my dinner there the other night was entirely satisfying.  (To be sure, the martinis I had with Wilfrid at Melissa Errico before dinner might have made me unusually susceptible.)

I started with the fried squash rings to accompany my cocktail (yeah, on top of the martinis).  This will be good if (a) the frying is right and (b) they do something to insure that the squash won't be too firm.  They did whatever they needed to.

Then, rutabaga "tagliatelle" with truffles and brown butter.  There's a reason that pasta is beloved world-wide and rutabaga isn't.  But if there must be dishes like this, this was a good one.

Then a bouillabaisse "hot pot", i.e. it tastes like a bouillabaisse but is constructed like a hot pot.  Tasted good.

Again, you don't always feel like food this tricked-up.  But they really hit a sweet spot a few nights ago.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#192 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,006 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:27 PM

So walk-ins are possible if you arrive sufficiently late on a Monday night?

Stirrings Still at the Pig: Boston and Made Nice

At the Sign of the Pink Pig

#193 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59,439 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Any night, really.

Bar Loser

MF Old