"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#92 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

They have wanted Mullen before. And I think he'd be thrilled to get out of StarkVegas. But, the whole way the Gators handled this firing (and the others) may give him (and others) pause. The optics are just not good. It smells like there is a lot more wrong in the Athletics Department than just picking the wrong coaches. There will be a lot of negative recruiting of the 2018 commits. Economics may play a part in who they can 'afford'. They still owe Muschamp. And whether or not they decide to try to sue Mac after asking him to take a lower buyout, who knows. That would make Frost more of a possibility. The Angry Hill People really want Gruden. And that means the Bull Gators would take special pleasure in hiring him out from under them. No matter the cost. It will be fun to watch (as long as none of them poach Jeremy Pruitt, or any other Bama assistant coaches/coordinators).

The winner in all this will most likely be super-agent Jimmy Sexton. I'd bet both schools have already hit him on their speed dials to get the search(es) started.

#93 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:20 PM

And, we have a new rumor...Bob Stoops. It comes down to whether he's ready to go back to coaching this soon. My guess is it really could happen.

#94 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,658 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

I kinda subscribe to the theory that gruden isn’t leaving the booth.

I agree the timing is tacky, but there are going to be a bunch of p5 schools looking and he wasn’t the AD who hired him. And the death threat stuff is just weird.

Stoops? Interesting but feels like a stop gap hire. But good Florida background.

#95 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:58 PM

Didn't see this one actually working out...looks like the Gators have hired Chip Kelly...or at least that what my sources say.

#96 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,658 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

I have heard that as well. We shall see. Weird fit culturally.  But at least its an offense first hire.

#97 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:38 PM

I can't see him tolerating the level of interference of the Bull Gators have had in the program for very long. Or having Spurrier two doors down in the Athletic Department. Scott Stricklin is going to have to do a lot of 'calming of feathers'. Going to be very interesting to watch.

#98 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:15 PM

Spurrier is denying the Kelly rumor. Saying the person they are going to hire is a currently employed coach.

#99 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,254 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

Spurrier is denying the Kelly rumor. Saying the person they are going to hire is a currently employed coach.

McAdoo? :ph43r:

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#100 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:34 PM

:ph43r:  :P  In your hopes and dreams 

I wouldn't touch the job till Spurrier is out of the mix. Between that coach 'emeritus' bit with him down the hall, a new AD who probably had no idea what he was going to have to deal with...hell no! Next coach will need to have some huge stones to survive and get that program turned around. 

#101 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,246 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:04 AM

Oops!  Tide rolled!

Then that happened.

#102 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:22 AM

I figured there would be some joy here. Not a good day for Bama. Played poorly. Got beat.

If you are a hoops fan, be sure and watch Sportscenter tonight. Bama played Minnesota at the Barclay's. You will see something I have never, ever seen in D1 hoops. And I would bet won't be seen again. 

At least I enjoyed my time in NYC, for the most part...knew the bail money to be at Auburn would be waaaaay too expensive and opted accordingly.

PS--cheers to all my dining partners (although I don't think any of them ever check this topic  :D ).

#103 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:30 AM

Or Twitter...evidently it's all over there too.

#104 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,246 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:40 AM

I figured there would be some joy here. Not a good day for Bama. Played poorly. Got beat.

If you are a hoops fan, be sure and watch Sportscenter tonight. Bama played Minnesota at the Barclay's. You will see something I have never, ever seen in D1 hoops. And I would bet won't be seen again. 

At least I enjoyed my time in NYC, for the most part...knew the bail money to be at Auburn would be waaaaay too expensive and opted accordingly.

PS--cheers to all my dining partners (although I don't think any of them ever check this topic  :D ).

Playing with 3 is amazing (shades of Eddie Feigner, the King and his Court), yet they lost that one as well.

Then that happened.

#105 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

From afar, it looked as though Auburn was better coached by a large degree.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .