132 replies to this topic

#106 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

The coaching carousel/rumor mill in the SEC is alive and well. Kevin Sumlin out at A & M (rumored to be ASU's next coach. And that A & M wants Jimbo). Greg Schiano to UT (VOLOL  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P ) if it happens. Mullen in at UF. Arkansas looking after firing Bielema. Rumor mill has Gus Malzahn as their target...and they could pony up enough cash to get him too.

ETA: Also Scott Frost rumored to NU (after declining to even meet with UF).

#107 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

Boy, the outcry among the Vololololunteer faithful is strong regarding the possible hiring of Schiano. A number of their State Legislators are appealing to the university not to hire him, in addition to large social media campaigns. Time to change course if you are the AD.

#108 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:33 PM

This escalated quickly...their landmark 'rock' at UT

DPl5iloUMAEF5Gn.jpg

#109 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:17 PM

The NCAA hammers Ole Miss. I can't ever remember an 8 year show cause...including when SMU got the death penalty. Be interesting to see how the appeal goes.

#110 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,801 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

Meanwhile things in Knoxville going well.

Did you see the rumor that the AD had agreed deals with Brohm and Leach and various members of the UT administration scuttled both? 

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#111 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:35 PM

And...there's always Phil Fulmer-the gift that keeps on giving. Supposedly he has been torpedoing Currie behind the scenes because he's been coveting the job for years. A former member (Dave Hart) of our athletics department was the AD before Currie. And while he made some decisions the UT fans didn't like, he also had to deal with the "interference" as Currie did. He "retired" in 2016 with a hefty severance package. Guessing he is reeeeeeeeeally enjoying this debacle. UT has spent $13 million so far on this search (presuming they can't weasel out of the buyout to Currie), and they still don't have a coach. As someone just said to me...this is better than Netflix dropping season 1 & 2 of your favorite show.

VoLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLunteers.   :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

#112 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:40 PM

And Jimbo is off to A & M  :P .

#113 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

The local Florida media has been saying the Jimbo deal may be among the richest in college history. He did pretty well in Florida.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#114 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

A & M has a VERY wealthy booster base. And they are more than happy to open their checkbooks to get what they want. It will be interesting to see how Jimbo fares now that he will have to play a full slate of SEC West games. Especially now that it's coming out that his players at FSU threatened to walk out if the university kept him. That is something that those who negatively recruit against opposing coaches will definitely use.

#115 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,261 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:20 AM

okay, i'll go back to rooting against alabama now.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#116 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,801 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:25 AM

Pawwl. Shoulda sent Nick to DC. He knows how to win in the swamp.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#117 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Nick Saban received quite a few write-in  votes. One report said about 1.2% of total votes cast went to him, and another 0.3% to various other people.   No question he's the best liked / respected guy in the state.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#118 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,383 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:22 AM

Isn't USC supposed to win by having its O line crush the opposition for three quarters so that by the fourth stanza its backs run through the defense like sliced cheese?  Oops, guess not any more.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#119 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,732 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

The Georgia-Oklahoma game was great to watch.  

Since I have a general favoritism for Alabama due to Evelyn being on this board (& the fact that Stony Brook isn't exactly a powerhouse), I loved watching them take it to Clemson.  Over the years, I've come to like Nick Saban's coaching, as abrasive as he is (does he really have to yell at his Offensive Coordinators like that?).  I think they'll dismantle Georgia, but I really don't know sh-t about college football.

This space available… contact owner.

#120 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,383 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:15 AM

Whoa, my hat's off to Saban.  Switched to a frosh QB and won the damn game.  Ballsy.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought