"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#122 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,692 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

I’ve watched quite a bit of analysis since the game (which I watched in its entirety, something I hardly ever do) & everyone points to Saban’s QB change as a major success (which it was). Maybe I missed it, but has anyone talked about the fact that he switched, not only to someone who might change the energy level or who has a rifle arm, but to a LEFTIE, who might have taken the defense off its game?

As an aside, the NYTimes had a piece a couple of days ago rightfully explaining that Saban is not a QB-centric coach but has them fit in as needed. They wrote about how few of his QBs are success stories in the NFL, especially given the # of championships won by Alabama. Interesting stuff to me. If accurate, I really wonder how these 2 QBs view their futures.

This space available… contact owner.

#123 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

As a broad overgeneralization Alabama players have underperformed expectations in the NFL.  

#124 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

Some Georgia fans are of the opinion the refereeing was unfair.  And there were several videos showing calls/non-calls that seemed to lend some merit to such a claim.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#125 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

As a broad overgeneralization Alabama players have underperformed expectations in the NFL.

Funny.  Jason La Canfora of CBS pointed out the same thing yesterday.

How many great college players have we seen fizzle in the NFL?  (Not just Alabama players.)  Players are bigger and faster in the NFL.  The defensive and offensive schemes are much more complicated.  Blocking schemes too, especially on the OL.

Recently I heard Steve Young asked about the biggest difference for QBs between college and the pros.  He didn't hesitate.

"In college all your receivers are open.  In the pros almost none of them are."

I used to hold all that against the college game but about 5 years ago it dawned on me that I was missing out on some terrific college football.  Now I just enjoy it on its own terms.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#126 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

Yeah but usually, those players are scouted to be not as good as expected. I.e. Tebow was a bust, but no one expected him to be any good.  Alabama its been kind of across the board - which isn't to say there aren't great Alabama players in the league - I mean Julio Jones is awesome.

I guess the real question is what % of Alabama 5 star recruits become NFL starters relative to 5 stars generally. That would the right analysis. Even at the 4 star level the variance is too high for it make sense as an analysis.

#127 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:01 PM

The greater skill disparity in college football is what makes it more fun. Variance in outcomes is also a lot higher.

#128 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,418 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:52 AM

There was some Alabama player who attracted a bit of attention in New York in the late '60s.

Bar Loser

MF Old