1 reply to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,354 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:16 PM

NY Times looks at shopping, beach going, and dining.

Next door to Dreamland, the former general manager and head chef of East London’s beloved Bistrotheque just opened Xiringuito, a seasonal restaurant with an ever-changing menu (curried soft-shell crab burgers, chili-chocolate ice cream tacos) —and Turner-inspired artwork commissioned from the British fashion illustrator John Booth. Cafes — including Hantverk & Found, which offers wine and seafood from southeast England, and also doubles as a gallery — are sprouting up among the fish-and-chip shops that line the cobblestone streets of Old Town. And in May, a 1911 cinema turned bingo hall turned snooker club on Fort Hill was reborn again as the Old Kent Market. Under the original barrel-vaulted ceiling are dozens of stalls — for everything from Indian spices and artisanal dog treats to antique jewelry — and a double-decker bus, for cocktails and a full English breakfast.

http://www.nytimes.c...pe=sectionfront

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,793 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Dreamland is still there?  :wub:

Takes me back many years.  When I was about nine or ten years old, my mother and father booked a Christmas at a family hotel in Margate.  It was the first time--ever, I think--they'd chosen to spend Christmas away from home.  I found it magical.  There was a program of entertainment.  Copious buffets.  A small band.  Fancy dress.

The hotel owner put on a facade of cheery bonhomie, which slipped on Christmas night, when he got into a drunken argument with the chef who apparently was canoodling with his wife.

Homesick.  (Jonathan Raban describes an almost identical scene in his "Christmas in Bournemouth" piece in For Love and Money.)

Stirrings Still at the Pig: Boston and Made Nice

At the Sign of the Pink Pig