19 replies to this topic

#16 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

We had a really nice dinner here last week. Good cocktails, too, as Daniel's buddy was there.

The whole roast duck split 5 ways, 4 pastas, a bunch of apps, and we were sated.

#17 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

Finally got there & glad I did. The 4 of us had a very nice meal by ordering the bread, 3 apps, 2 pastas & the whole duck. Although I didn't think everything was great - the focaccia was eh, the paparadelle was a stingy portion - these were more than offset by an excellent black pasta w/squid, a perfect artichoke app, a very good arugula salad, a smooth, tasty portion of chicken liver mousse with a skewer of crispy chicken skin & a well prepared, meaty duck w/great buckwheat pancakes & a fennel salad w/oranges. All of the cooking displayed a high level of skill & a focus on the food, not the chef, that I found refreshing and not so usual any more. And the place is very nicely done, with an outdoor backyard that looks like a perfect place for summer eating (we ate indoors, but near the open back door). Everyone on staff was extremely friendly & it's another "no tips necessary" place, where putting "a little something" down isn't discouraged but doesn't seem necessary either (we left $5 at the bar before dinner & $20 on the table with the paid bill).

This space available… contact owner.

#18 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,870 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

we have gone back a few times in recent weeks.. most recently, wednesday night, moments after returning home from china.. We ordered two pastas and a quail dish.. we sat at the bar,..  The salt cod pasta was really delicious.. ravioli stuffed with brandade and a pasta that looks like cockscomb with black squid ink.. I don't really remember this but, i enjoyed it.. it was the first squid ink pasta i have liked in some very long time.. The quail, a texas quail, i could tell by the way it moseyed on over to the table was cooked perfectly.. almost braised.. medium leaning to medium rare, i loved it more than miss a..

Ran into a few guys walking buy that live  in my neighborhood.. they came in and had a drink with us.. Miss K eventually told us it was a school night and that she should be going home..  She was super happy as someone recognized her from instagram and was gushing over her art.. The guy happens to be a teacher at Pratt so she was doubly happy..

Anyway, the place is doing some delicious pasta.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#19 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63,969 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

Faun is getting a lot of love from a lot of different directions. Guess I have to give it another shot. Last time I went it was frankly unimpressive. But so many people whose taste I respect have been liking it lately.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#20 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,668 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

enjoyed the place mainly for the duck. not much of a pasta person, so that part of the menu didn't excite me. the only flaw is the lack of mains. the duck is served for four and there were two other choices on the menu and one special.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Prospect Heights, Vanderbilt Ave., Brooklyn