43 replies to this topic

#1 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Steve has asked me to start this thread since he's too busy bashing the Mets.  My pleasure.

We've been to the Open twice this year.  The Quals were fun last Wednesday.  Good tennis from 30 feet away.  An absolute pleasure.  We had perfect weather and the grounds were gorgeous.

Yesterday the weather was like hot soup.  Luckily it cleared up enough so we didn't get rained on when we were waiting for security to process us.  We had tickets to Arthur Ashe stadium.  We've been there many times before but this was the first match we've attended where the roof was complete.  And a damned good thing too.

It's a little eerie with the roof shut.  The lighting looks like the stadium is at the bottom of an aquarium and there is low roaring sound from the ventilation reminiscent of an airplane at 40,000 feet.  You tune it out.  What was impossible to tune out was the sound of a major downpour hitting the roof during the Murray - Granollers match.  (And yes, I did call him Granola.)  It was deafening - like being in a tent while garden hoses pound the outside.  But the alternative was a 2 hour rain delay.

The tennis itself was fine.  Simona Halep won her match in unspectacular fashion.  She was clearly better than her opponent and never let up.

Andy Murray was himself.  I've seen him live about 4 or 5 times.  He doesn't have Djokivich's range but he has his stamina and intensity.  The match was typical Murray.  The first set was close.  Granoller left everything he had on the court but Murray had more.  The other 2 sets were pro forma.  Granollers knew he didn't have a chance.

Murray is given to playing 5 set matches early in the tournament.  It would be nice if he played more threes.  He might have more energy left for the later rounds.

It was great to see Venus Williams looking healthier that she's been in years.  She moved well and her shots were near perfect.  The match was never close but you could almost hear Venus thinking "Enjoy this.  It could be your last."  The crowd gave her a very warm hand.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#2 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

I still believe that the percentage of dumb people at the US Open is higher than other sporting events.  A good 40% aren't interested in the tennis at all.  They talk during matches, fiddle with their phones, eat heaping plates of mostly mediocre overpriced food.  Some then fall asleep, gently snoring.

A lot of them have never been to any other sporting event.  They do not grasp the concept that if they stand in front of you you won't be able to see the match.  I did have the pleasure of giving a CitiField greeting to one guy with a head as big as a 20 pound sack of Yukon Gold potatoes who insisted on standing in the aisle.  Other people also took turns dealing with the Standers.

Most of the people are fine but the assholes do stand out.

Tip - the Coney Island foot long frank is a "deal" at $8.  They taste pretty good and can be split between 2 people.  If you ate one of those babies all by yourself it might be hard to choke down dinner.

Last week we hit Little Pepper.  This time around it was Spicy & Tasty.  LP is terrific.  S&T remains very good.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#3 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:39 PM

LP is terrific. 

From your lips... :) .

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:55 PM

Same guest behavior happens at some golf tournaments. You get an invite, you have to go as a business courtesy.

Eat fine food, drink good wine, schmooze..

Could be a lot worse.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#5 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

At the Open fiddling with my phone and hitting LP tonight.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#6 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

Having a lot of fun this year. Hit the quals. twice last week & saw some really good players that probably will never get far enough to be noticed but were fun to watch. Only Ryan Harrison remains.
Went this Mon & Wed. On Monday, we were able to watch Hingis, Djokovic & Murray practice and see parts of matches like Isner squeaking by 19 year old Tiafoye in a 5th set tiebreak, Monfils entertaining on Court 17, etc. Then, on Wed, we were in the new Grandstand for Ryan Harrison's upset of a cramping Raonic & caught lots of great doubles including Hingis/Paes teaming up and winning against Tiafoye & his partner (who was excellent but I can't recall her name) & Mahut/Herbert showing how it's done in men's doubles.
Back again tomorrow.

And yes, some of these folk are just unbelievably self absorbed and unaware.

Today I actually play & see if I can emulate any of what I've seen. Nah...too late for that.

This space available… contact owner.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,808 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

my buddy is a ball boy there.. we all watched him on tv during the Nadal game.. Kind of crazy 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#8 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:21 PM

Negative comments from Murray in this morning's paper about inability to hear ball strike due to rain noise on roof and sound of conversations held in by roof. Affected play somewhat by not hearing type of hit.
"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

Negative comments from Murray in this morning's paper about inability to hear ball strike due to rain noise on roof and sound of conversations held in by roof. Affected play somewhat by not hearing type of hit.

There will be an app for these matters soon.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:29 PM

That may be so, or maybe it's in Murray's head.  He played the same weak first set I've seen from him repeatedly in the past.  Then he got stronger.

#11 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

In other US Open news Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios announced continued progress in his transformation into Darth Maul.

29332064811_edf6b71490_n.jpg

29377270116_d22cf8ce25_o.jpg

"Stages 1 and 2 are now complete and all of my teeth have been filed down into sharp points, the better to tear open the jugular veins of my opponents.  Over the winter I'll be fitted for horns and the remaining facial tattoos will be added.  The Dark Side will then be triumphant on the USTA tour."

#12 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

4 1st timers at LP. What do we order?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:13 PM

Same guest behavior happens at some golf tournaments. You get an invite, you have to go as a business courtesy.

These people are completely mystified by the mundane task of finding their seats.  They walk out of the runway onto the seating tiers and make a face like Stephen Hawking was asking them to explain galactic entropy.  "Ooh!  This is so hard!!!"

Look at your fucking ticket.  It has a section, row, and seat number.  The sections have signs showing their number.  Walk through the gateway, find your row, and plunk your oversized butt into to the seat.  Whatever you do, don't stand there like a statue pondering the immensity of it all.  People are going to yell at you.

#14 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,404 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

4 1st timers at LP. What do we order?

Order stuff you really like.  It's a good kitchen - they won't disappoint.  Last week I had the lamb with scallion which had a nice funky lamb component.  The fresh cucumber with mashed garlic was very good as well.

Here you go.

#15 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

This was being completed the other day...

29346591211_1b050245da_z.jpg

(from, you guessed it, the Whole Foods' parking lot)