43 replies to this topic

#16 memesuze

memesuze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:24 PM

Negative comments from Murray in this morning's paper about inability to hear ball strike due to rain noise on roof and sound of conversations held in by roof. Affected play somewhat by not hearing type of hit.

That may be so, or maybe it's in Murray's head.  He played the same weak first set I've seen from him repeatedly in the past.  Then he got stronger.

It wasn't just Murray:

Earlier under the roof, second seed Andy Murray scored a 6-4, 6-1, 6-4 second-round victory over Marcel Granollers.

Both players said heavy rain pelting the roof during the match made the sounds of the game impossible to hear and affected play.

“You can’t hear anything, really,” Murray said. “I mean, you could hear the line calls.”

But that was about it.

As Murray and Granollers played, there was a constant din during points, an amalgam of the downpour bouncing off the roof and the murmur of the crowd bouncing off the inside.

From a seat in the 10th row parallel to a baseline, the racket-ball impact was rendered silent by a louder version of what you hear when you hold a seashell to your ear.

“We use our ears when we play,” Murray said. “It’s not just the eyes. (The sound) helps us pick up the speed of the ball, the spin that’s on the ball, how hard someone’s hitting it. If we played with our ears covered or with headphones on, it would be a big advantage if your opponent wasn’t wearing them. It’s tricky. You can still do it, but it’s harder, for sure.”

“When it rains, you’re going to get noise,” U.S. Tennis Association Executive Director Gordon Smith said, when asked about the comments.

“We will look at potential ways to attenuate some of the noise going forward. It’s going to be louder than it was. We knew that. And it’s something the players will deal with and the fans will deal with.”

"When you think about it, all of my greatest work is poop tomorrow." - Mario Batali

Even if you live to be 100, life is short.

#17 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

“We will look at potential ways to attenuate some of the noise going forward. It’s going to be louder than it was. We knew that. And it’s something the players will deal with and the fans will deal with.”

In other words, we don't give a crap about the fans or the players; we just care about sponsor money.

#18 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

The CBS sports people were discussing the pounding rain and the echoing last night, too.  Apparently it affected their sound quality and they were unable to compensate.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

CBS would have loved to air fill in programming for a 2 hour rain delay.

There may be some things they can do to mitigate this. Perhaps installing the equivalent of noise cancelling technology if its applicable.

I do know that since they spent 2 years and $150 million on that roof it's not coming down.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#20 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:46 PM

Steve, you might have missed this exchange on another thread.

I do think its not worth going to queens for Sichuan food anymore. But for other regional chinese still worth the trip.

Not that I don't think that Little Pepper, for example, is a very good place for a Sichuan dinner. Its just that there are quite a few equally good, nicer places in Manhattan.

Which places are you thinking of?

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#21 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

Didn't miss it, I was just waiting till Ginny & I went back to Little Pepper so that I'd have a more recent reference point. We went last night, after leaving the US Open & had a good meal. Ordered some of the stuff from your linked old post that I've missed the most... the dandan noodles, the twice cooked pork, the cucumbers w/mashed garlic &, of course, the chicken w/peanuts. As I expected, I was happy to be back & will gladly go again. However, given your question, my memory has Lan Sheng doing a better version of the pork dish & Legend doing the chicken dish much better. The dandan noodles were as good as anywhere else and, as you stated, easier to deal with in the large bowl. I love this version of the cucumber dish, but Ginny prefers the not so garlicky versions that rely on hot oil and larger cucumber pieces better -- I think that Lan Sheng, Legend & several of the GS places are more to her taste.

We ran into one of my Bklyn tennis partners at LP & she's a regular there w/her boyfriend who grew up in College Point, so I get the feeling that I'll be going back more often with them. However, I definitely want to get back to Lan Sheng & Legend as well. I think I'll like Lan Sheng as much as LP for the stuff that all the places do, but they both (& Spicy & Tasty) have always done better. My love for Legend is based on the chicken w/peanuts dish & the stuff that we've gotten there that just isn't done ( to my knowledge anyway) at LP or other places -- an eggplant/fish casserole, for example.

This space available… contact owner.

#22 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:11 AM

I think I'm the bearer of bad news.  Lan Sheng is closed right now.  Our own Aaron S reported that at the end of June he saw a notice in the restaurant that said that they were temporarily closing prior to a move to larger quarters.  There have been no Yelp reviews in more than 2 months.  I rated LS among the top 3 Sichuan places in town.

I think I may be easier to please than you on Sichuan places.  I like Hot Kitchen very much (we've had some terrific meals there over the last 3 months - right now I'd put HK in my top three) and I like Land of Plenty a lot in spite of the awful clunker of a dish I was served about 6 weeks ago.  That was in contrast to 3 or 4 very successful meals there over the last 18 months.  I'd get there more often but it's inconveniently located on 58th St. 

Legend can be very good but the menu isn't anywhere as deep as it should be.  On the positive side the fact that it has a giant pan Asian menu means you can take people there who aren't Sichuan true believers while still being able to please yourself.  The ambiance is relatively good.  Still for me, the menu isn't deep enough.

I am seriously delinquent in visiting Szechuan Gourmet.  I've had some very good meals there.

We ate at Spicy & Tasty after this past Thursday's tennis and had a first rate meal.  It's not that S&T has slipped - other places have caught up.

If I had to pick a single "best" Sichuanese restaurant I'd still lean towards Little Pepper.  That said the relatively remote location means I'm more likely to eat elsewhere.  They'll probably take away my Chowhound badge for saying that.

Back to that "best" designation.  It's really a personal call.  What it means is that they make excellent versions of your five favorite dishes.  Somebody else may have a different five favorites and therefore name a different place the "best."

I'd agree with the sentiment voiced on another thread - you don't need to go to Flushing for great Sichuan food.  But if you're already *in* Flushing for tennis or baseball or shopping in bulk at B.J.s there is some very good food to be had.

#23 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

Back to the tennis. That 5 set match between Nadal and Lucas Pouille was a war. Nadal played his heart out.

#24 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:31 PM

I had already kissed off today's free "Community Day", figuring it'd be an overcrowded shitshow, where everyone comes to see the 2 or 3 doubles matches being played and there'd be nothing else going on.  This morning I realized that our once every 2 weeks apartment cleaner would be here this afternoon, Ginny was going off to play tennis with her friends in Central Park &, since I played yesterday & have a game tomorrow, I had already turned down a couple of offers for today.  So, against my better judgment, I decided to be brave & to visit the US Open one more time.  

Sometimes things just work out.  No traffic driving there at 10:30am & found a spot on 111th, literally one block from the entrance to the park.  Walked to the gate before 11:30 (matches started at noon today) and found no line.  Went in and found no crowd.  Court 6 had the first "Champions Doubles" match about to start: Martina Navratilova/Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario vs Tracy Austin/Gigi Fernandez.  Went there and found easy viewing from courtside.  Took pictures, watched the match.  Very entertaining &, damn, are they still good.  Figured I'd push my luck and see if I could get into the new Grandstand, where the Woman's Doubles Semi's were being held, featuring Hingis/Vandeweghe (#5 seeds) vs Garcia/Mladenovic (#1 seeds).  Not only did I get in, but there were lots of seats in the shade, only one section up from the court.  Great viewing, although I only stayed one set, since I didn't like the fact that Hingis/Vandeweghe were getting their butts kicked.  Back to the Court 6 retirees matches, where I again stood courtside, this time watching Lindsay Davenport/Mary Jo Fernandez win over Iva Majoli/Dinara Safina, then watching the first set of Philippoussis/Pat Cash vs Michael Chang/Rick Leach.  Nice.  Enough easy watching, I left around 4pm, drove my car the 4 or so blocks to Corona's Lemon Ice King & scarfed down a great vanilla chip ices.  Drove home thru moderate traffic.  As I said, sometimes things just work out.

#25 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:28 PM

I've found the Koziusko bridge construction to be a giant clusterfuck.  Has it gotten better?

#26 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,746 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:49 PM

I've found the Koziusko bridge construction to be a giant clusterfuck.  Has it gotten better?

On the mornings we've gone to the Open, the left lane closure slows things down for 5 minutes or so but it flows again right after, just before the LIE exit. However, we went to Parkside last night from home & the BQE was backed up quite a bit. Didn't seem to be due to the bridge construction though.

#27 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:17 AM

Going over to Flushing I've taken the Eastern Parkway / Interboro route.  I've used it for years.  Coming home I always went LIE/BQE but I've seen lane closures over the last 2 months.  I use Google maps traffic feature to identify delays.  (Radio reports are spotty at best.)  I'm hoping the lane closures stop and things get back to normal.

#28 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:36 AM

wednesday's drive home from the airport on the kosciusko bridge/bqe was longer than our flight.

#29 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

wednesday's drive home from the airport on the kosciusko bridge/bqe was longer than our flight.

Try this. From the BQE take the LIE exit. Them get off at Green point Ave. Make a left and take GPA to McGuinness. Then make a left and take it to the BQE. There's a southbound entrance.

If the problems are only Koziusco based you'll bypass the bridge. If Google shows the BQE is backed up further from McGuinness make a right on Meserole and pass Williamsburg on the west hand side. (Meserole is *before* the BQE entrance on MsGuinness, close to GPA.)

#30 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,853 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

I'm also a fan of Maurice to Grand  to the W'burg Bridge during the summer,.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"