43 replies to this topic

#31 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

I'm also a fan of Maurice to Grand  to the W'burg Bridge during the summer,.

Good one.

I make a point of checking Google maps/traffic before I start my trip.  That way I don't have to use the best available alternate route when I'm already on the road.  I can pick better route before I hit the problems.

This Kosiusko construction has made our Thai trips to Queens problematic.  Every 6 to 8 weeks we'd drive over on a Saturday afternoon, pick a place, have a bang up meal, and then hit a local Brooklyn bar for drinks.  Thirty minutes over, thirty minutes back.  Home by 7:00 with leftovers for when we got hungry later.  (Yes, we're old.)  It made for a nice change of pace. 

Lately we've had to do crazy planning to figure out how to avoid that traffic.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#32 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

I've found the Koziusko bridge construction to be a giant clusterfuck.  Has it gotten better?

No.

When I was driving a cab in the 70s, the BQE was under construction. 

#33 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

I've found the Koziusko bridge construction to be a giant clusterfuck.  Has it gotten better?

No.

There's a lot of that.

Houston St.  Clusterfuck extraordinaire.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#34 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

No.

There's a lot of that.

Houston St.  Clusterfuck extraordinaire.

Houston Street will allegedly be done soon - maybe even by the end of the month.

It's only 3 years behind schedule.

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

One thing that is super surprising is how many open seats their are.. I have never really had any desire to go but, just the availability is making me consider going.. I really only enjoy watching Women's Tennis but, for the Women's Final, there are still 3200 tickets left.. I can sit court side for the Final for 750 bucks.. That just seems insane to me.. Considering I paid around 600 to see Barbra Streisand, this seems like the deal of the century.  Sit court side to see arguably the greatest tennis player that has ever lived, play in the US Open Finals. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#36 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,349 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

Imagine if Barbra sang the national anthem at the women's final!

#37 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

My wife would be Kvelling.. I would find it a good time to grab a couple of Beers.  

#38 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,055 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Sit court side to see arguably the greatest tennis player that has ever lived, play in the US Open Finals. 

she lost yesterday.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#39 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

you think someone could have handed her a towel

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Sit court side to see arguably the greatest tennis player that has ever lived, play in the US Open Finals. 

she lost yesterday.

Shit, really.. Ok..  Hopefully Babs will be back on her feet in no time. 

#41 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:21 PM

Houston Street will allegedly be done soon - maybe even by the end of the month.

It's only 3 years behind schedule.

NYC Dept of Transportation -

18811181136_2ff60aed3c_o.jpg

#42 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Something I just found out.

Serena Williams is 20 weeks pregnant.  I assume she won't make this year's U.S. Open.

#43 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,521 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

Weeks?

This space available… contact owner.

#44 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:06 PM

Weeks?

When born the baby will be fully grown and immediately ready to compete at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open.

(I corrected my error.  Thanks.)