Photo

AmEx, Chase Sapphire (split from Global Entry)

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

AMEX is basically screwed at the high end. Have you seen the Chase Sapphire Reserve Deal? Its so dumb  - 450 annual fee includes 300 buck airline credit on any airline (instead of the dumb AMEX pick one airline thing which has no value to me as I rarely fly domestic)- including tickets? 100k points + Global Entry + Lounge + better rental car coverage + 3x points on airfare and hotels

Why not mayo?

#2 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

You're understating how amazing that CSR deal is. That $300 credit is on any travel spending, including airfare, hotels, taxis, &c., rather than just incidental airline expenses. It's almost impossible to not use up that credit if you do any travel at all.

I think the only AmEx perk that I sort of care about is access to the Centurion lounges.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#3 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

You know I've tried multiple times to hit a centurion lounge but they are always inconvenient for my flights.

On my to do list this week is to see what amex will do to retain me.
Why not mayo?

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

The last several posts are worth the price of admission around here.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

AMEX is basically screwed at the high end. Have you seen the Chase Sapphire Reserve Deal? Its so dumb  - 450 annual fee includes 300 buck airline credit on any airline (instead of the dumb AMEX pick one airline thing which has no value to me as I rarely fly domestic)- including tickets? 100k points + Global Entry + Lounge + better rental car coverage + 3x points on airfare and hotels

i just got that offer and am probably going to pull the trigger on it. right now i have a stockpile of $1000 AA giftcards that i may never use

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

You know I've tried multiple times to hit a centurion lounge but they are always inconvenient for my flights.

On my to do list this week is to see what amex will do to retain me.

please do share your experience.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#7 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,427 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

I was just thinking about which travel credit card to get next. What I don't understand about Chase Sapphire is how they award travel points? Do I have to go through them to book?

It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,541 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:12 PM

I was just thinking about which travel credit card to get next. What I don't understand about Chase Sapphire is how they award travel points? Do I have to go through them to book?

for the $300 they go by category of charge, i would guess they can do the same for points

~Jack Handey

#9 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

AmEx customer service is way better, though.

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

Yahoo Finance has a summary of the pros and cons for current Chase users and new customers.

One point is Chase has enforced the 5/24 rule (5 cards in 24 months) to automatically decline churning risks.

Another is that Uber, Lyft, and Airbnb count for  spending credits.

https://www.yahoo.co...-185403826.html

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,808 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

You're understating how amazing that CSR deal is. That $300 credit is on any travel spending, including airfare, hotels, taxis, &c., rather than just incidental airline expenses. It's almost impossible to not use up that credit if you do any travel at all.

I think the only AmEx perk that I sort of care about is access to the Centurion lounges.

I have Amex platinum and for me its great as I get
1/3 points back that I book on United. I travel maybe 20 flights or so and book another 40 for my company.
So that is 60 flights at 1/3 off.

It's also good for lounges but, really it's for booking flights
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#12 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:05 PM

You can't transfer AmEx points to United though. You can with Chase points.

And Chase Sapphire Reserve is a 50% bonus on bookings made directly with points as well.

#13 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:08 PM

I was in the DFW Centurion Lounge Sunday. We also have one in Las Vegas. They are both head and shoulders above the Sky Clubs. People behave so much more civilly in the CL vs the SC. And, most times they are much less crowded. Also the cocktails, wine and food are much better. The employees are more pleasant. The only thing missing is if you are an high level elite with an airline, you get much better help during IROPs in the airline's lounge.

#14 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,452 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

I dare you to stay in the one of the American lounges at JFK by choice. Dare you.

Why not mayo?

#15 Evelyn

Evelyn

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:17 PM

I generally prefer the Amex transfer partners. There are more options. The only Chase partner I usually transfer to is Singapore. I have the Chase Sapphire Preferred. But think I will switch to the Reserve, since with the bonus and the airline credit, it's a much better deal.

I want to hear what the retention offer they give you is.