7 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:42 PM

reviews of london restaurants seem mostly to be stuck inside other large threads. so i figured i would start new threads for the restaurants i recently ate at.

my longer review of my lunch at the clove club (with many, many pictures) is on the blog, but here's the tl;dr: i really liked all the food but found the meal as a whole to not have much of a through-line. this seems to be a consequence of contemporary cheffy eclecticism which makes it hard to figure out what a restaurant's identity is outside the context of other restaurants like itself. i repeat as well my earlier comments (in the bigger london thread) about some aspects of the service being a little silly. as i say in my review, "some of the servers were rather earnest young men who bent down and whispered the descriptions with a sort of hushed urgency that suggested they were delivering the launch codes for nuclear missiles or relating symptoms of an embarrassing disease over the phone in a crowded place—so much so that on occasion I had to ask them to repeat themselves."

that said, i really enjoyed the meal and odds are good that i'll return with mrs. jones when we're in london for 3 months in the spring.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:16 AM

That was a great review.  It's almost like a catalog of what's good and bad about the current iteration of high-end restaurants.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:35 AM

yeah, some of the things that were done very well were sort of non-sequiturs. for example, the buttermilk fried chicken, which is apparently a signature dish and much beloved of regulars and reviewers alike. yes, it's done well but it's still not very interesting unless the thought of eating buttermilk fried chicken in a michelin starred restaurant is exciting in and of itself. ditto for the haggis puff--nicely executed but the end result is not very interesting or tasty as food per se, more as an exercise in demonstrating the chef and diner's catholic tastes. on the other hand, when it came to the big things--the monkfish and the duck--they delivered in spades, with good technique and and restrained deployment of the cross-cultural elements (in the case of the duck).

and the service is both polished and sort of funny at the same time. like they want to make it un-stuffy but can't quite commit.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:51 AM

and the service is both polished and sort of funny at the same time. like they want to make it un-stuffy but can't quite commit.

Right, exactly.  That's like the best characterization of this service style I've yet read.

And those hushed-voice descriptions of the dishes, as if they're sharing the secrets of holy writ.  It's just dinner (or lunch, as may be).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:52 AM

But also, the not-quite-coherent, too-many-courses (but they're all GOOD) meals.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:21 PM

I was gonna ask who'd been here, but then I decided to use the search function and voilà. 

I got a good laugh out of reading the above - so true. But I'm also wondering: are we so schooled by the French or Italian progression of a meal (not to mention, Japanese) that a meal which doesn't approach that methodology often leaves us shaking our collective heads?

And -- I think we'll eat a meal here, as it comes highly recommended from a (nother) respected source.

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Where are you staying?
Why not mayo?

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member