2 replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

thanks to iant and balex for pointing me in the direction of hoppers. it was a perfect casual meal between meetings on a hot day in london. i got there at 1.30 on a weekday and only had to wait about 10 minutes. and by 2.30 it was pretty empty--so if you're able to eat late you should do that. the food was very good, i thought. it's really more of a mix of sri lankan, (indian) tamil and malayali (kerala) food. the heat levels were more toned down than i was expecting and execution was not always at a high level (slightly overcooked pork in the black pork kari) but at these prices it's hard to complain--less than half of what i paid at trishna for food that was quite a lot more than half as good, and quite a lot of it. and so much better than most of what's available in the u.s. 

my spring return is suddenly looking a bit shaky (wobbly enrollment in the off-campus program i'm supposed to be leading) but if all goes well and we make it, i'm far more likely to eat here again than at trishna, even though i concede that trishna is the better restaurant.

by the way, never having encountered bone marrow varuval before i can only assume that this is another tribute to fergus henderson and his stature in this city.

full write-up with pictures.

appam.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: st. john (london)

current whisky review: balvenie 14, 2002, "peat week"

current recipe: mixed vegetable torkari

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#2 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

I went to Hoppers a few weeks ago and can't say I felt the same enthusiasm for it as you. A partridge pepper fry was good but no better-priced for the portioning than the pigeon pepper fry at its sister restaurant Gymkhana. The curries, which we ate with a dosa, all tasted very pre-prepared.

#3 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,086 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:47 PM

well, most curries are better on the second day...

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: st. john (london)

current whisky review: balvenie 14, 2002, "peat week"

current recipe: mixed vegetable torkari

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson