109 replies to this topic

#1 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

For those of you who love smoked meats and BBQ, I highly recommend Sam's Butcher Shop. Sam is a  small-batch, artisan meat processor. He makes his products in a very authentic and traditional way, using charcoal and cherry wood in an old fashioned smokehouse, where the products are slow cooked. This process gives the meats a rich, smoky flavor (and smell). Sam is the nicest guy and always replies to email inquiries in a timely matter. He makes the most amazing smoky & spicy Andouille sausage. My wife puts it on a pizza with peppers & mushrooms (among other ingredients). I also love Sam's Smoked Boneless Country Ribs. They go great with hot Bone Suckin sauce. His Hot Italian sausages go great in a sausage and pepper dish. His BBQ Pulled Pork is also delicious. Sam also smokes three types of bacon (Buckboard, Pork Shoulder, and Smoked Kielbasa bacon). Besides the outstanding Andouille and Italian Hot sausages Sam also makes Smoked Kielbasa Rings, Grillers, & sticks, and Smoked Wisconsin Brats. He also makes Hardwood Smoked Ham, Smoked Salmon, & Smoked Duck. Sam is currently running a special of 10 pounds of any combination of sausage, bacon, country ribs, or pulled pork for $65.00. It was recently increased from $60.00 but is still a great deal. Most of these meats sold by the pound separately average $7.50 to $8.50 a pound. The best part is since it is already cooked, you just have to heat it up :) Sam does all of the hard work :) He is situated in Pennsylvania, but delivers the meats overnight to the tri-state area for a flat delivery fee of $14.00. The order is perfectly packaged in a large styrofoam container filled with plenty of ice. The meats are tightly wrapped in saran wrap and put in plastic bags and clearly labeled. I always love opening a new order and getting that initial intoxicating aroma of smoky goodness :P Please note that since Sam is a small artisanal smoker, (and everything is made in fresh small batches), he requires at least a week's advance notice of your order. Below are links to his website and an old article on Jersey Bites.

Bon Apetite!

http://www.samsbutchershop.com/

http://jerseybites.c...nd-bacon-oh-my/

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:14 PM

A gallon of duck fat. Be still my heart

That's a great site, thanks for sharing it. The prices are quite reasonable, if the quality is good (which I'm sure it must be).

I've passed that location probably 20 times.  The former Lackawanna Railroad main line is in their back yard, and the current operator offers steam train excursions from Scranton. It's a delightful train ride, and a pleasant car journey.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#3 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:28 AM

You're welcome, Paul. Yes, the prices are very reasonable considering the exceptional quality. You will not find anything of this quality in a supermarket or local butcher. Sam does not take any shortcuts when he smokes his meats. He does it old school. My wife & I just had the country ribs for dinner tonight. She added a little cajun spice rub and heated it at 350 degrees for about 10 or 15 minutes and it was fork tender & delicious. The fat was perfectly rendered & the meat just melted in your mouth.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,427 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

The former Lackawanna Railroad main line is in their back yard, and the current operator offers steam train excursions from Scranton. It's a delightful train ride, and a pleasant car journey.

Woah, wait a minute, Paul.

Can you tell more about this in some appropriate place?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:33 PM

Sure. The town of Moscow PA is located along the former Pocono Main Line of the Lackawanna Railroad. The trains once ran from Hoboken NJ ferry to Scranton and on to Buffalo. The section from Scranton to the Delaware River is owned by Pennsylvania. Freight and passenger operations (passenger service provided by SteamTown) are offered.

SteamTown is a unit of the National Park Service, and offers several trips daily with a mix of older diesels and even older steam engines. Through the mountains. The vintage 1907 Scranton station is now a Radisson hotel, two blocks from SteamTown.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,427 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

Hey, anyone who's ever been to -- or even across the river from -- Hoboken knows the Lakawanna used to go there.

How far does this train go?  I guess this is obvious, but they return to Scranton?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Hey, anyone who's ever been to -- or even across the river from -- Hoboken knows the Lakawanna used to go there.

How far does this train go?  I guess this is obvious, but they return to Scranton?

Yes, they begin in Scranton, usually turn at Moscow, and return to Scranton. It's a three hour trip. A few trains will go on to Stroudsburg, esp for fall foliage. The freight trains go on to Portland PA thrice weekly.
Niccolò Machiavelli

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,427 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:06 AM

Wow.  Going on down to Stroudsburg would be awesome.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

Lookee what arrived at my door last evening...

29582069700_7446b547d5_z.jpg

Stuff looks good and smells even better.

#10 Melonius Thunk

Melonius Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Looking forward to your report.

"It has a soupy texture and looks rather messy. It stinks a little and is arguably the most delicious dish on earth."__Ptipois

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Party at Joe's house?
Niccolò Machiavelli

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,427 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:39 PM

Holy shit.  I'll be passing through Moscow on Sunday.  Could he possibly be open then?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

This place looks very good...I was hoping to get an order in for arrival this weekend, but I got busy and didn't get around to it. However, I will this weekend -- and I am looking forward to many of the offerings. Also looking forward to others reporting back.

Thanks again for the heads up here!

#14 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:21 PM

Lookee what arrived at my door last evening...

29582069700_7446b547d5_z.jpg

Stuff looks good and smells even better.

Mitch, I am so happy that you decided to try Sam's. He is the real deal! Wasn't that smoky smell, when you first opened the package, intoxicating? It looks like you got a very nice order there. Everything is so nicely packaged and labeled. The boneless ribs just melt in your mouth. They go great with either a dry rub or Bone Suckin Sauce. Enjoy! I am looking forward to your report.

#15 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

My wife made a delicious thin crust pizza last night featuring Sam's smoky & spicy Andouille Sausage with peppers,mushrooms, olives, and red onions, among other ingredients. We topped it off with Cajun Chef spicy green hot sauce.

lKaMiSzh.jpg