16 replies to this topic

#1 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:37 PM

I spend way too mcuh of my time trying to organize our Tupperware and lids.  We've collected all sorts of containers from different manufacturers (Glad, Ziplock, Rubbermaid, etc).  They don't fit together.  I have lids without bottoms and bottoms without lids.  I have stacks of lids falling out of the cabinet.  

I'd like to throw them all away and start over.  Does anyone have an organized Tupperwrare cabinet?  It there an iPhone app for this?

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

No app, but we've found it useful to unload them ASAP.  Dinner guests get something to take home in GladWare or Tupperware.

At any given point, we probably have just 5-6 of them in the house.

What we do have to purge on a regular basis is jars. Straight to recycling.  All except what we need for leftovers or ingredients.

Spices - all we keep is the Fairway glass spice jars, no more than 12-15, most filled

Ancient Plochmann mustard wide mouth jars, at least 25 years old. Two cup size.

Four 48 oz Basmati plastic rice containers for bulk purchases. Tops interchange with the Plochmann jars.

Ancient glass Grey Poupon mustard wide mouth containers two cup size.

Current Fairway etc glass salsa jars, wide mouth. The tops are interchangeable with the Grey Poupon

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#3 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:17 PM

Yeah--if you know which are the orphan tops and containers, just get rid of them. They are recyclable, at least in the city. And if you don't know for sure, just recycle them all. You'll rebuild the collection soon enough.

I admit that it takes all my willpower to dump takeout/delivery containers. But I've still got a large collection of screw-cap wine bottles, saved in the hopes that I will someday make herb vinegars again. And lots of peanut butter jars, in assorted sizes; they make a nice matched set, good for pasta, beans, etc.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

No app, but we've found it useful to unload them ASAP.  Dinner guests get something to take home in GladWare or Tupperware.

I never can figure out if people expect those back or not.

(Ironically, I still have a ceramic ramekin in which Stone gave me some rillettes years ago. This I'm positive he expects back. Maybe someday I'll remember to give it to him.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,876 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

(Ironically, I still have a ceramic ramekin in which Stone gave me some rillettes years ago. This I'm positive he expects back. Maybe someday I'll remember to give it to him.)

You gotta give it back filled...with something.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

With his new copper cookware set, I'm sure he'll do wonderfully!

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62,835 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:22 PM

This might turn out ugly.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

At any given point, we probably have just 5-6 of them in the house.

What we do have to purge on a regular basis is jars. Straight to recycling.  All except what we need for leftovers or ingredients.

Spices - all we keep is the Fairway glass spice jars, no more than 12-15, most filled

Ancient Plochmann mustard wide mouth jars, at least 25 years old. Two cup size.

Four 48 oz Basmati plastic rice containers for bulk purchases. Tops interchange with the Plochmann jars.

Ancient glass Grey Poupon mustard wide mouth containers two cup size.

Current Fairway etc glass salsa jars, wide mouth. The tops are interchangeable with the Grey Poupon

i love fairway glass jars!

i keep a lot of them in a container store sweater tub that lives in a walk-in closet and inside that tub are smaller tubs for lids (some are grouped by type) but eventually you'll still end up with problem. i often let my mother think she is getting away with stealing them, when i have too many. the sad part is that someday i'll inherit them back. 

my worst hoard is comprised of good quality takeaway containers because they are free and can be really useful for sending extra home with guests. about twice a year i toss about 100 of them in the recycling.

presently, i am focused on collecting nice glass for fermentation projects, i am dreading the storage nightmare ahead

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#9 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

I go through this plastic container situation every so often. I get rid of the strays, organize everything and then "poof" the next time that cupboard is opened, the danged gremlins have been at it and it is all a mess again, with nothing that matches up. I keep trying to get rid of the stuff completely, but no one wants to cooperate with that. I've begun buying restaurant take-out containers at Costco or Sam's and using those to send leftovers home with people. It's not as "green" as I'd like, but I do have limited space for reusable plastic.

Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#10 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

One fine hostess buys bulk orders of the small laminated paper take out containers used in Chinese restaurants. They nest in the equivalent volume of a wine bottle.

#11 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

I spend way too mcuh of my time trying to organize our Tupperware and lids.  We've collected all sorts of containers from different manufacturers (Glad, Ziplock, Rubbermaid, etc).  They don't fit together.  I have lids without bottoms and bottoms without lids.  I have stacks of lids falling out of the cabinet.  

I'd like to throw them all away and start over.  Does anyone have an organized Tupperwrare cabinet?  It there an iPhone app for this?

I've had the same problem.  About once or twice a year I put them all on a counter and try to pair up lids with containers.  I throw the orphans away.  (This begs the question, where did the matching piece go?  When they came in the door they were a matching pair.  Did they run away?  I save these questions until later when I'd drinking a martini.)

Then I look over the remaining matched pairs.  Some are showing signs of wear and staining.  (Usually the freebies I get from restaurants or the flimsy Glad containers.)  I chuck these too.  The remaining containers go back in the cabinet with lids and bases  of the same type kept in separate piles.

All of this takes about 10 or 15 minutes.  Stone, you can do it during a football halftime.

my worst hoard is comprised of good quality takeaway containers because they are free and can be really useful for sending extra home with guests. about twice a year i toss about 100 of them in the recycling.

Me too.  Somewhere around 5 - 7 years ago restaurants started packing leftovers in medium quality plastic containers.  Lots better than those cheap Glad containers that are really only good for a couple of uses.  My middle class upbringing, child of Depression era parents, makes it hard for me to throw them away.

I compromise.  I always save about 10 or 15 of them to pack up leftovers for guests.  The remaining ones I throw away.  It always gives me a pang but the sight of 40 of these things sitting in my cabinet makes me realize that they're accumulating far faster than I can use them.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#12 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,570 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:36 PM

Money.

A Hudson Valley Home.  Kichels --  A Recipe from the Old Country.

Just take those old records off the shelf.

#13 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,876 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

One fine hostess buys bulk orders of the small laminated paper take out containers used in Chinese restaurants. They nest in the equivalent volume of a wine bottle.

Don't tell the hostess, but they leak.  However, I bring along my own supply of 1-gallon freezer bags to place them into.

#14 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,876 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 01:42 PM

I have Tupperware and Rubbermaid containers which are years old. Decades even, in certain cases, I'm sure.  And plenty of takeout containers from (mostly) Chinese restaurants, usually given with soup noodles, etc. etc. Always washed in the dishwasher, for all those years.

Then a friend was giving my some shit about the quart containers, when he saw that I had used 4 of them for my recent IP stock making, claiming, you know, how bad they are for you, blah blah blah. Interestingly, I did a little research, and of course BPAs and god-knows-what-else are bad for you, and certainly using these types of containers in the microwave is probably not great - though we don't own a microwave, so I don't have to worry about that, though pouring boiling hot soup into them is probably also a not-great idea. 

Now, the Chinese restaurant containers, and most everything else made out of plastic and used for food, has a little symbol with a number in it, on the bottom, allegedly attesting to how the container is best recycled (or not, as the case may be). There are other symbols and letters on the bottom of containers too; you could spend hours looking at this stuff; the whole idea being that I'd like to at least start storing my food in the safest containers possible; obviously glass and stainless being at the top of that list, but not always practical for kitchen use.

So - where am I headed with all this? Oh yeah - I decided I was gonna replace all my old stuff, because a: it's old and b: It's been washed, in the dishwasher, like hundreds of times, and that can't make it any better.

So on to Amazon I went, and a buying spree ensued.  I also started by looking at how various storage products were rated, on sites like Cook's Illustrated's, et al. And I started with these:

Rubbermaid Brilliance Food Storage Container, 14-Piece Set and these:

OXO Good Grips Smart Seal Leakproof Glass Food Storage Container, in various sizes.

Holy shit, both products are light years beyond the old Tupperware/Rubbermaid stuff. The lids are amazingly tight, that Tritan plastic used in the Rubbermade Brilliance is amazing, and OXO just generally makes stuff that I like; these glass storage containers totally fall into that category.

I threw out almost all of the old stuff (I'll keep a few of the restaurant containers, to give away leftovers for sure); but man, these products are game changers. 

#15 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the nudge, this is something I’ve wanted to do as well.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.