64 replies to this topic

#1 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

Elisa Ung just gave Viaggio 3 1/2 stars. This was Elisa's last restaurant review for the Record after 9 years with the paper. This was the highest rating she ever gave to a restaurant in Passaic county (which isn't saying much considering the lack of quality restaurants in Passaic county :) ) The chef/partner is 26 year old Robbie Felice who has worked as a sous chef for various restaurants owned by Mario Batali and Lidia & Joseph Bastianich. He cures his own charcuterie.

Below are links to Elisa's review as well as to the restaurant's web page.

http://www.northjers...wayne-1.1690565

http://www.viaggioristorante.com/

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#2 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

Sounds great, thanks for the post.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,696 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:29 AM

Oh, I know that guy.  Passaic County is lucky to have him.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

Great review.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#5 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:38 AM

We ate here tonight. The food was very good. Service was excellent, wine glasses were good. The chairs, as mentioned, are not great. Highlights for me were the chicken (my breast was just a bit dry, but flavor was great and the rest of the plate was fantastic - amazing polenta) and the fried apps. The chicken had an amazing skin, so crispy, almost like a lacquer. Squash pasta was very good, bucatini was the only real dissapointment for me, just needed some more acid and depth of flavor. Olive oil cake was 80% great though the center was a bit dense. I really liked the prix fixe format as deciding between a pasta and a main at Italian restaurants is always difficult.

#6 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:46 PM

Also - they are now offering a 6 course pasta tasting menu. I think it was $60. Not sure when it is offered, though they said last night was the first night. 

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,436 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

Was he the sous at Lupa for a while?

#8 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

We ate here tonight. The food was very good. Service was excellent, wine glasses were good. The chairs, as mentioned, are not great. Highlights for me were the chicken (my breast was just a bit dry, but flavor was great and the rest of the plate was fantastic - amazing polenta) and the fried apps. The chicken had an amazing skin, so crispy, almost like a lacquer. Squash pasta was very good, bucatini was the only real dissapointment for me, just needed some more acid and depth of flavor. Olive oil cake was 80% great though the center was a bit dense. I really liked the prix fixe format as deciding between a pasta and a main at Italian restaurants is always difficult.

Thanks for the review. I made reservations for this coming Friday night and am looking forward to it.

#9 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:02 PM

Was he the sous at Lupa for a while?

He served as a sous chef for Batali's B&B Ristorante in Las Vegas and interned at Batali's Manhattan restaurant Babbo.

http://archive.north...wayne-1.1652115

#10 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

My wife & I ate at Viaggio Friday night for the first time. Considering that it was the day after Thanksgiving, the place was packed by 6:30 PM. I guess all of the people were exhausted from cooking their Thanksgiving dinners the night before, and didn't want to go anywhere near their kitchen :) This is probably the best new restaurant in Wayne (which isn't saying much :) ). Chef Robbie is very talented, and at only 26, has a very bright future ahead of him. The chairs were as uncomfortable as advertised, but after sharing two bottles of wine we stopped noticing it :)  Believe it or not, I saw the host offering seat cushions to a few customers. They should just put them on all of the chairs. The biggest negative point for me was that the service was rushed. I think we got stuck with a bad waitress. The other waiters seemed very nice. It seemed like through almost every bite of our appetizer the waitress would ask us if we were ready to order our entrees. We like to digest our appetizers and work on our 1st bottle of wine before we order our entrees. I find that when you order everything at once, your entrees arrive immediately after you finish the last bite of your appetizer. The rest of the service was great. Water was frequently refilled, and silverware was replaced for each course. The food was the big star & did not disappoint. We started off with the amazing Onion Focaccia with a great dipping oil. It was loaded with caramelized onions and well worth $7.00. A nice slice of crusty bread comes with the meal, but I would definitely upgrade to the onion focaccia. We also shared a delicious Fried Calamari with lemon butter, shallot, and chili. We asked for extra chili which gave it a nice little kick. The calamari was perfectly cooked and very lightly breaded & crispy. We also shared an incredible Kabocha Squash Cappellacci with crispy pieces of sage, brown butter, & hazelnuts. The squash inside of the cappellacci was smoothly pureed and just melted in your mouth. For entrees my wife had the very moist & flavorful Branzino with fregola, tomato, & olive prepared in parchment paper. I had the excellent chicken with the creamiest polenta. Tubbs was right. The skin was amazing & crispy with a shiny lacquer like finish. The next time we have to try to come here on a Sunday night to take advantage of the 4 course prix fixe dinner for $53.00 per person (recently raised from $49.00). It sounds like a great bargain for the quality of food. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you are in or near the neighborhood, but it is not worth a special trip from Manhattan.

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:45 PM

Wayne definitely could support a few good restaurants. It is a sharp contrast to Totowa which punches well above its weight. Benissimo, Nicola, Spiga, Cynthia's, etc. Or, Fairfield.

#12 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:12 PM

Wayne definitely could support a few good restaurants. It is a sharp contrast to Totowa which punches well above its weight. Benissimo, Nicola, Spiga, Cynthia's, etc. Or, Fairfield.

Agreed. Very good point Paul.

#13 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:05 AM

Looking 

Looking at a map, perhaps the weird location of Wayne is one of the reasons. The only thing we really disliked about this restaurant was how annoying it was to get to from the major highways. Coming from the east it's a good 15 minutes from either 80 or 208 unless you loop around to 202.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 01:43 PM

Wayne is one of those huge, sprawling places left over as other towns are formed. Parsippany, Bridgewater, Hillsborough, Woodbridge etc are others.

#15 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

Looking 

Looking at a map, perhaps the weird location of Wayne is one of the reasons. The only thing we really disliked about this restaurant was how annoying it was to get to from the major highways. Coming from the east it's a good 15 minutes from either 80 or 208 unless you loop around to 202.

Wayne is one of those huge, sprawling places left over as other towns are formed. Parsippany, Bridgewater, Hillsborough, Woodbridge etc are others.

Although I've never been a huge fan of Wayne, I did always feel there would be more quality restaurants. It seems to have a lot -- it seems vast, a lot of highway access, main roads, retail, etc. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

Like I said, while I was never a huge fan, I would go on occasion, visit friends, maybe hit the mall, etc. -- and I felt it was "convenient" so to speak, at least for me, coming from Northeast or Northwest Bergen County. Route 80, 46, and 208 can get you there, although you have to deal with Route 23 (I hate Route 23, LOL). I guess being it's not convenient off the GSP or the TPK could be taken into consideration.

On the restaurant side -- there was that one Italian restaurant, on Hamburg Turnpike, not too far over the Wayne border. It was a stand-alone building, pretty good reviews, good food, and I had heard a few people complain about the owner having a poor attitude. Anyone remember this place?