No replies to this topic

#1 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,740 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

there are other reviews of this restaurant hidden in the mega montreal thread (mostly from orik, i think). it was recommended to me by adrian as a good choice for a relatively lighter meal after arrival on our first night. it was indeed relatively light and it was also very good. people say "go for the charcuterie and the natural wines" but i think it's worth a stop for the cooked food as well, the approach to which is a comfortable mix of the classic and the contemporary. some highlights included a veal loin tataki (particularly the fried sweetbreads and mushrooms on top of the veal), a dish of perfectly roasted cauliflower (with a bit too much anchovy mayo), and, yes, a truly excellent charcuterie platter (we got the "small", i worry about how much there must be on the "large"). in one of his early write-ups orik refers to too much onion in everything. that no longer seems to be a problem.

the room is dark, casual and loud, as is the style these days. the service is informal. we noted that in the u.s a restaurant with this aesthetic would be putting out mediocre to shitty food for a crowd that doesn't care. the baseline expectation for this sort of cuisine in montreal is obviously much higher. i don't know how it would compare to places doing similar food in cities like new york but in the twin cities this would be among the top restaurants; in montreal it's close to being a neighbourhood wine bar. i bring this up because the montreal and twin cities metros both have similar numbers of people in them.

and, yes, the price. we paid $59/head all-in for a small charcuterie platter (which was anything but small), four small plates (which were really medium-large), a dessert, two cocktails and a glass of wine. oh canada!

full write-up with pictures.

cauliflower2.jpg

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson