63 replies to this topic

#1 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

I love "NY style" pizza, Sicilian pizza, calzones, garlic knots, and a whole array of doughy bites.

But Una Pizza is easily the best thin-crust I've had, to date. The Tattooed Marvel only makes 4 kinds of pies and he makes them consistently and perfectly.

$17 is a lot for a 12" pie, usually, but I was able to overlook it after taking a bite of the white pie - drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt, smeared with minced garlic, and dolloped with fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese.

My friends & I didn't try the cheese-less pie (olive oil, sea salt, San Marzano crushed tomatoes), but we managed to polish off the white pie, the Filetti (olive oil, sea salt, buffalo mozz, sliced cherry tomatoes, basil), and the Margherita (olive oil, sea salt, buffalo mozz, crushed tomatoes, basil).

The crust has lovely charred spots from the wood-burning brick oven and is crisp-but-chewy, all the way from the middle to the outer edge. The dough, itself, also has a great yeasty flavor and would make a meal, without any accoutrements.

I'm planning on making a trip to DiFara's in the near future. I'll be interested to see how Una stacks up to the Brooklyn benchmark.
Food, glorious food!

#2 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 03:52 PM

You can't compare them. They are two different, completely different, foodstuffs.

We were disappointed with Una. Very good crust, but that's about it. I think they're using good ingredients, but who could taste them with so little used. And I think it's quite overpriced.

I like Arturo's better than Una. The problem with Una is that you barely taste the ingredients because they're used so absurdly sparingly.

On the bianca, we overwhelmingly tasted the crust - there was so little cheese, and barely a hint of olive oil. The basil overwhelmed those.

On the margherita, maybe 3 bites of it had both tomatoes and cheese in proportions that allowed up to taste them together, if at all significantly.

The pizzas seemed like flatbread focaccias to me. Lots of crust, very little everything else, and out of proportion and balance.

The crust was very, very good (and by the way, no commercial yeast is used - I did not sense any yeast-y quality).
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#3 StephY

StephY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

Interesting points, Omni. Last night, almost all of my bites included every ingredient, with the exception of the basil, which was used very sparingly.

I can't wait to try DiFara's.
Food, glorious food!

#4 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:02 PM

After a few bits of the bianca, we actually removed all of the cheese from the bianca and put it on the magherita.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:03 PM

Could somebody please change the name of the topic - it's Una Pizza Napoletana .

Would be good for it to come up in searches so it should be spelled right.

Thanks.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,151 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:04 PM

and merge the two threads.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#7 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:41 AM

According to two pizza aficionado's who are familar with both.
UNA PIZZA NAPOLETANA rivals DeFara.

They raved about the dough, the wood-fired oven taste and the quality of the fresh buffalo mozarella.

Anyone tried it?
The guy comes from NGatti-ville--Mangieri's in Noo Joisy.
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#8 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:50 AM

Yep. We got a thread on it already. If somebody finds it, we can merge them.

Plus scamhi and I owe a report on 28 Carmine, which I liked better than Una Pizza.

Had a slice today at Five Roses (highly touted on CH). It's a NY street slice, but not interesting. Crust was decent and thin, but underdone. Sauce was sweet and one dimensional. Cheese was of commercial quality. Not *bad* - but no need to return.

I gotta get to Sal & Carmine's, Piola, Bleecker St. Pizza, Quartino Bottega. Gotta try the pizza again at Otto, and at Gonzo. Oh, and at Giorgione's, per eatpie.

#9 Melonious Thunk

Melonious Thunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:06 AM

Here it is. (topic merged)
"Pippa, I'm going to tell you something and it's important. Sometimes you have to go to work."__Hannah Marie Konstadt, Two years, nine months.

'How high can you stoop?"__Oscar Levant.

#10 beachfan

beachfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:57 AM

Omni, since you are being so civic minded, would you also check Little Italy Pizza across from the Empire State Building (33 and 5th I think).

One of my favorites. I need to know where it ranks in the Manhatten pantheon.

Thanks for making sure we are led to the true slice ;)

#11 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:36 AM

Omni, since you are being so civic minded, would you also check Little Italy Pizza across from the Empire State Building (33 and 5th I think).

it's my work go to.. probably the best slice in the neighborhood and much better than the previous incarnation in the same spot.. that said, Sal and Carmine have nothing to worry about in terms of this place competing with folks making a mission for pizza, to say nothing of Dominic..

#12 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

Had to do some digging to find this one.

Last years journey for pizza took me to Phoenix. This year with gas prices as high as they are, I decided to keep it within 300 miles.

Anyone been here lately?

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,559 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Go to Luzzo's around the corner while you are there..

Also, I havent been here in a while but,

http://www.lapizzafr...e.com/home.html...
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#14 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Mar 16 2008, 03:34 PM) View Post
Go to Luzzo's around the corner while you are there..

I have yet to go here.. Also, I havent been here in a while but, <a href="http://www.lapizzafrescaristorante.com/home.html" target="_blank">
</a><a href="http://www.lapizzafrescaristorante.com/home.html" target="_blank">
</a>http://www.lapizzafr...e.com/home.html...

Daniel, You must be a mind reader as I was just reading your Luzzo's reports on egullet. Will try. Thanks!

#15 robert40

robert40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

Anyone seen these videos?
http://www.chow.com/stories/11065