#32 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

yeh, no desire to go here. 

Why not? I'm at least curious to see what all the fuss is about. Can't say I remember too much about the one visit I made to the original location where Motorino is now.

But yeah, I'm more excited to check out the Joe & Pat's that replaced Lanza's.

#33 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

The last time we were at Motorino, the Margherita pizza we had was like eating soup with a crust. Feh! The photo joethefoodie posted of the one he had at UPN looks just like that. So even though we never made it to the previous UPN, I’ll not be schlepping to the LES to this revival.

Joe & Pat’s I am interested in trying since I really like thin-crust pizza. And it’s a relatively short walk from our apartment.

#34 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,589 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

My only question is, is if Joe & Pat's is a relatively short walk from your apartment, how far is upper Orchard Street?

#35 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

My only question is, is if Joe & Pat's is a relatively short walk from your apartment, how far is upper Orchard Street?

About +15.

#36 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:10 PM

I should have added that while UPN opens at 5:30 p.m. (at least for now), Joe & Pat’s is open for lunch which is when I prefer to have pizza.

#37 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

I really liked the east village UPN and look forward to the new one, even though it will be hard to stomach feeding my kids $50 worth of pizza.

#38 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

I really liked the east village UPN and look forward to the new one, even though it will be hard to stomach feeding my kids $50 worth of pizza.

That's why you buy your kids Rosario's slices and let them watch you eat $50 worth of pizza.

ETA my two cents: this place is like a much better version of Bruno when it first opened. Which is to say, I miss the old UPN.

#39 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

My pizzas the other night were fantastic.  I really missed this dough.  I haven't been to Ops yet but this probably means I should get there asap.  I thought the apps I had were only ok.  Am I the only one dying for just a straight arugula salad with some lemon juice, olive oil, and parm?  I feel like they should make it much more vegetal and simple with the apps, which I think others have said as well.

There's really no point in going until they have their license.

#40 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

As Gerry said in the Ops thread, you're probably going to LIKE the starters at Ops. You totally do need to get over there.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#41 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,238 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:07 AM

The style is soup with a crust. This is true of Ops too. If it's done well, with great toppings, as at Ops, I can do it. I prefer Roman style.

#42 davythefatboy

davythefatboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:44 PM

I have never experienced soupiness at Ops. 

#43 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:21 AM

UPN now has a license. I find the UPN pizza to be clearly different from the ones at Ops. The UPN center is wetter, the crust more chewy. For me, the Margherita suits the UPN style best. (My favorite pizza at Ops is the Pops.) I much preferred the dining room at the San Francisco UPN, which felt like you were in Italy, to the one on Orchard Street.

#44 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,220 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:57 AM

We have the same fave Ops pizza (for the little its worth).
Bar Loser

MF Old

#45 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:26 AM

same here.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns