51 replies to this topic

#46 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

UPN now has a license. I find the UPN pizza to be clearly different from the ones at Ops. The UPN center is wetter, the crust more chewy. For me, the Margherita suits the UPN style best. (My favorite pizza at Ops is the Pops.) I much preferred the dining room at the San Francisco UPN, which felt like you were in Italy, to the one on Orchard Street.

Agree that the Margarita suits the UPN pizza the best, although I also like the one with arugula all over it (totally diff kind of thing).  I wish the UPN pizzas had a bit more variety to them- they all seem like almost margaritas to me.  

I have no ability to suspend my disbelief while on Orchard Street to feel like I'm in Italy under any decor scheme, but maybe once they can bring me a bottle of red wine I'll be better able to imagine myself in Italy.

#47 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:33 AM

Jesikka, did you go to the San Francisco UPN? The spare decor, spaced-out marble tables and wooden chairs felt very Italian. The Orchard Street decor is so different. The chairs, in particular, are strange and uncomfortable.

Jorge Riera would have been a perfect wine director for UPN and would have served the red wines a lot cooler, I think.

#48 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

I might have a hard time thinking that this was/is Italy either.

#49 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

I'm talking about the inside!

#50 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,005 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

I'm talking about the inside!

Yeah, I figured. 

But my passeggiata is much more Italian going to and from Orchard Street!

#51 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

Jesikka, did you go to the San Francisco UPN? The spare decor, spaced-out marble tables and wooden chairs felt very Italian. The Orchard Street decor is so different. The chairs, in particular, are strange and uncomfortable.

Jorge Riera would have been a perfect wine director for UPN and would have served the red wines a lot cooler, I think.

I went and while it certainly was more Italian, there was a homeless man urinating on the doorstep which reminded me that I was indeed in SF.  

I think Jorge is pretty damn happy with his decisionmaking lately, but I am probably speaking out of turn ;)

#52 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,783 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:36 PM

I have never experienced soupiness at Ops. 

"Soupy" may be hyperbole, but a wet, dissolving center to the pie was exactly what I experienced at Ops; as expected.