But that's their aim.

#62 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

Got round to reading the Wells review and was surprised he thought the desserts jarred with the aesthetics of the pizza. Read like he had to twist his review to agree with his argument. Tiramisu and ice cream seem classic enough to me. And, frankly, many of the appetizers may be modernist but a couple of them aren't so different from what you'd have found at Franny's.

Also surprised he didn't like the servers asking what you're eating when helping you choose the wine.

At least he realized how good the pizza is.

#63 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,066 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

Basically he's trying to dance around saying it's a money grab and pizza shouldn't be $100+ pp.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#64 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:10 AM

In what has to be one of the stranger menu pricing variants that I've seen, the prices for a number of the pies are now lower than when they opened. If memory serves me correctly (and jesus it was only last night), only 2 of the pies are the original $25; now, the others are a few bucks less, with my marinara coming in at a practically give-away $19, and Significant Eater's Margherita $22.

I'm still firmly in the NY, Roman and hybrid pizza style camps, though the crust on these pies is quite good (i'd really like to try it plain, and wrapped around a few slices of mortadella). And Fabian's desserts are, to my mind, just great - last night we only had ice cream/sorbet; fig leaf, black pepper, and Concord grape.  I'm not generally a fan of the pepper thing in ice cream, but this was quite subtle, and his ice creams and sorbets are really smooth and delicious.

So while this place won't replace Scarr's when we want a quick pizza (because I think Scarr's is a nice pie of its style), it's certainly enjoyable enough when you factor in, and are in the mood for, the appetizers and desserts available.

COMP DISCLOSURE:  Burrata appetizer, a couple glasses of pet nat to say hello.