54 replies to this topic

#46 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

My personal idea of hell, and I have many, is to be forced to play tennis every day.

:gold:

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#47 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,227 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

I'm sitting in 68˚ t-shirt weather on our deck in the Sierra foothills looking out over daffodils, brilliant flowering quince and forsythia, lambs frolicking, a horse grazing.    (Oh yeah, and the neighbor's pot farm.)

Most places have their good points and bad points.  Well, except for Houston.

In NYC most of our winters aren't too bad.  Neither are the summers.  Unlike Florida we aren't used as a bullseye by hurricanes.  And there are no droughts or wild fires and very little chance of a massive earthquake.

By this time next month I'll be walking through the magnolias in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

8649926425_ce2cf5bae6_c.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#48 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

I'm sitting in 68˚ t-shirt weather on our deck in the Sierra foothills looking out over daffodils, brilliant flowering quince and forsythia, lambs frolicking, a horse grazing.    (Oh yeah, and the neighbor's pot farm.)

Most places have their good points and bad points.  Well, except for Houston.

In NYC most of our winters aren't too bad.  Neither are the summers.  Unlike Florida we aren't used as a bullseye by hurricanes.  And there are no droughts or wild fires and very little chance of a massive earthquake.

By this time next month I'll be walking through the magnolias in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

8649926425_ce2cf5bae6_c.jpg

Indeed, for everything there is a season.    Here, 105˚ in August is not unusual, nor is 25˚ in winter.   At home, well, there is fog.   And in good years, rain.

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#49 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

Instead of the delights of Chili's I was forced to endure a meal at Sahib last Saturday. 

How were you addressed?

#50 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

NYC and NJ is still under a drought condition. It's been a big problem for many farmers.

Downstate NY is in the third highest of four drought stages as of mid-February.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#51 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,227 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I know you're joking but I honestly don't remember.  Service was very friendly.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#52 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,227 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

NYC and NJ is still under a drought condition. It's been a big problem for many farmers.

There are droughts and there are "droughts."  The NYC EPA is extremely conservative in the way they label things.  Here's a screenshot from today of NYC reservoir levels.  And that's before the spring and summer rains which are, on average, higher than what we get in fall and winder.

33333271931_a761107a9f_z.jpg

#53 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

I should have booked Anguilla for this week instead of next.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#54 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,227 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

There are droughts and there are "droughts."  The NYC EPA is extremely conservative in the way they label things.  Here's a screenshot from today of NYC reservoir levels.  And that's before the spring and summer rains which are, on average, higher than what we get in fall and winder.

33333271931_a761107a9f_z.jpg

Back in mid March I posted about the tendency of local government's around here to exaggerate "drought" conditions.  Then the reservoirs were between 86% and 96% with the spring rains about to arrive.

As of today they're near or over 100% and sending excess water down the spillways.

33670373674_787fe7f007_z.jpg

I'm sure they mean well but those "drought" reports are wildly conservative.  It's easy to check the actual water levels.

#55 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,865 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

That's very helpful, Lex. Thanks for sharing.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli