98 replies to this topic

#16 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Grubstreet mentions that starting this Sunday (January 29th), Chef Angie Mar will be serving a British style  'Sunday Roast' (as opposed to a regular Brunch) from noon until 8PM.

"The decidedly anti-brunch offerings include lamb pot roast, halibut and chips, and a full English breakfast with slab bacon, black pudding, roasted tomatoes, mushroom marmalade, and cannellini beans. "

Below is a link to the article with some delicious looking pictures and the menu.

http://www.grubstree...nday-roast.html

http://images.nymag....ayRoastMenu.pdf

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#17 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hmm. I have a reservation here on Sunday at 7. I hope they're still going to be offering the normal dinner menu during dinner hours.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#18 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hmm. I have a reservation here on Sunday at 7. I hope they're still going to be offering the normal dinner menu during dinner hours.

Has it not occurred to you to call and ask?

#19 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

I did just before I made that post, but their line was busy.

Got through to them just now, and apparently the Sunday Roast is replacing their normal dinner service entirely.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#20 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:56 PM

Got through to them just now, and apparently the Sunday Roast is replacing their normal dinner service entirely.

I'd book another night. The regular menu is fabulous and worth holding out for.

#21 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:51 AM

Glad to hear that you called.

#22 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,230 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

English style, too. Grey overcooked meat, lumpy gravy, a wet dough puck called Yorkshire pudding, and seven different vegetables.

How homesick I am.

#23 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:41 PM

The Champvallon de Tete is one great dish.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#24 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:12 PM

I don't remember it's being THAT loud.

No, it's LOUD.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#25 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,246 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:48 PM

Soooo. I dined here on Wednesday, where we ran into one of our esteemed members in the dining room.

Its hard to be objective because they really went above and beyond the call.  I think that they had absolutely overbooked the dining room accidentally ( i guess one room was booked for a private function) so we were forced to wait 40 minutes or so for our reservation.  In response they comped us our cocktails, comped us a round of champagne, comped us a crudo right as we sat down, and comped us a mid course salad.  I mean how churlish would I have to be to complain about anything after that? Especially when I was too sick to order a bottle of wine and didn't even spend 130 bucks in the place?

Well I'm as we all know a terrible person.  Here's what I'll say.  As dishes I liked everything I tried (though the umami of the porcini and truffles was so dominating the crudo I'm not sure I can judge the quality of the fish).  The game pie was very good, the Champvallon was maybe better.

The problem with this place is the menu. Its all just so meaty I find it impossible not to get palate fatigue.  That midcourse salad was brilliant because it provided exactly the kind of lightness and acid that the menu needs to provide more of if they want to offer up these big brown meaty dishes.  I think that's the difference between places like this that are great (i.e. the montreal places, the st. john places) and the places that produce great dishes but maybe aren't places I can eat at weekly? IDK. Just a thought.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,915 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

interestingly enough, one could book a table for 4 tonight at a reasonable hour.. Or for me 9:30 certainly is.. They also have a 7 and a 10 available..  It might be worth it just to show up and hope they make me wait   :P  (just kidding, i would have left after 20 minutes) 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:44 PM

The savory cherry tart is good, but not as good as I had hoped.  But good, really good:  don't get me wrong.

The cote de boeuf is fabulous.  How could it not be?  As is the tartiflette.  How could it not be?

I know what Bonner means about palate fatigue.  Fortunately, I'm too crass a person to really be affected by that.  But he's right that people who go here should bear that in mind going in.

The truffle upsell is getting really old.

It was a genuine pleasure to get to hang around with Mr. and Mrs. B for bit after my date had to run out to attend to a family emergency.  I'm sure they'll be relieved to know that we got together again later.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,915 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:51 PM

It was a genuine pleasure to get to hang around with Mr. and Mrs. B for bit after my date had to run out to attend to a family emergency.  

the old dine and dash... 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#29 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

Happily, she eventually dashed back.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#30 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

What'd either of you drink on Wednesday?

The wine list has very few bottles of red under $100, though the markups don't appear to be that insane.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Village, MEAT