2 replies to this topic

#1 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

Adam Platt from grubstreet.com gave Flora Bar 3 stars. He says it is more formal & ambitious than Chef Mattos' other restaurant Estela.

"...it’s also located on the bottom floor of the Met Breuer museum, which means the logistical layout is a quirky space they have to work around instead of create, and that many of the people who happened to stumble on their establishment have come to see art instead of to taste, say, a bite of carefully rendered lobster crudo."

Below is a link to the review.

http://www.grubstree...-flora-bar.html

#2 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:46 PM

Pete Wells gave it 2 stars, although it read like a 3 star review. He seemed to like almost everything.

"A simple red disc on a white plate, Flora Bar’s tuna tartare isn’t like any I’ve had before; it pops with toasted flax seeds and crunches with fried shallots, neither of which hides the clean, cold taste of chopped yellowfin tuna. Flora Bar does not quite reinvent tuna tartare the way Estela reinvents beef tartare, but it comes closer than you’d think was possible.

Steak comes with béarnaise and beet hunks. The beets look a little wrinkled, like prunes, and have an uncannily focused flavor. The béarnaise is silky and light on the herbs. The steak looks like steak, sliced. It is tender, and the flavor goes on and on as you chew, yet it doesn’t have the meat-locker stink of dry-aged beef. Something must have happened to make it so extraordinary, but the answer is not visible. (The beef has been given, among other treatments, a surreptitious marination in fish sauce.)"

https://www.nytimes....ytimes.com&_r=0

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,230 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:33 AM

I read the review belatedly. Sounds great. I've been to the Breuer twice in the last six or seven weeks and didn't know it was there.