14 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

Thirty thousand Euro in monthly rent, just a few meters from St Peter's basilica.  The leasing decision infuriated several older cardinali who live upstairs. They were not consulted. The horror of it all.

https://www.rt.com/n...ens-restaurant/

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

65$ per square foot per year? Seems like a good deal...
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#3 Josh Karpf

Josh Karpf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

"Cardinal Elio Sgreccia . . . told La Repubblica that no price is high enough to justify the 'disgrace' of selling 'unhealthy' food 'that I would never eat' in such a place. 'I repeat, selling mega-sandwiches in Borgo Pio is a disgrace,' he said. The rent money could better be used to help 'the area's needy ... and suffering, as the Holy Father teaches,' he said" (NBC News).

Au contraire, il mio cardinale. The Eternal City's scarcity of restrooms more than justifies a Mickey D's to help the area's suffering.

#4 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:29 AM

The McDonald's restaurant seems to be doing well, and doing good.  They're providing free water, burgers, and fruits to the homeless in Vatican City / Borgo.  The Pope ordered the construction of showers and bathroom facilities for the (male) homeless in 2015. That building is around the corner from the McD, I believe.  Women and families are helped in a different facility nearby.

http://www.corriere....054cdfc34.shtml

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#5 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:15 PM

St. Peter certainly approves of Golden Arches. It's easier to turn back the unworthy. 

Besides Catholicism  is really based on the Big Mac theory of faith - you know, all that special sauce and wafers.

#6 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:30 AM

I have no problem with offering reasonable and fast food at this or any hugely visited monument.   Better having the option than only expensive alternatives for those who only wanted to see the special place.    No one has to eat there, and certainly other eye sores abound.   While I would never choose McDo, I also hate to find myself captive at any tourist destination.  

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#7 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

Speaking of interesting McD's locations near Rome: http://hyperallergic...of-roman-ruins/

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,155 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Considering the companies that paid for the restorations of the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps, for McDonald's this is a mere bag of, ummmm, stones.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Several very long liturgical celebrations have breaks built into the action. I'm sure there will be pictures of Swiss guards in costume, waiting on line for a Big Mac. And various clerics, etc in their regalia.
Niccolò Machiavelli

#10 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,154 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

How can there be homeless in the Vatican?  :blink:

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#11 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

The present pope ordered the conversion of facilities on the periphery of the property to serve as a daily laundry, shower, meals etc facility for homeless people and refugees.  But, all non-residents of the Vatican have to be off the grounds by 10pm, or some similar time.

Niccolò Machiavelli

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,533 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

I hear he's going to build a wall around the place.

Oh wait, there is one.

#13 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

I hear he's going to build a wall around the place.

...and it's more effective than the fence they once had.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,034 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:53 PM

It didn't stop the bad guy in Angels and Demons from landing a helicopter on the front steps, though

Niccolò Machiavelli

#15 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

They had help from above.