55 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

White Gold Butchers is an actual operating butcher shop with a restaurant appended (or, depending on how you look at it, a restaurant with an operating butcher shop appended).  It's run by April Bloomfield and Ken Friedman.  It's their first Uptown venture, on the corner of 78th & Amsterdam on the Upper West Side.

The restaurant is barer than I expected:  several plain wooden tables on a concrete floor in a room off the butcher counter.  It really does look like a restaurant appended to a butcher shop.  The menu is concise.  There are no cocktails, and only a very brief wine list (and of course a beer list, which I didn't pay enough attention to to comment on).

I thought the food was exceptionally good.  Not magic, as at Beatrice Inn.  But simply delicious.

It's a meat-centric menu (OBVIOUSLY).  They go a lot for simply cooked meats with "exotic" condiments.  For example, our excellent starting "snack" (that new extra first course:  this really would have been great with a cocktail -- except there are no cocktails).  It was sourdough toast topped with roasted mushrooms (the meat of the vegetable world) on a bed of kefir cream (kefir being a fermented milk drink from the Caucasus) spiked with a heavy dose of horseradish.  This was just compulsively delicious -- and so was everything that followed.

I then had a puntarelle salad with really great beef tongue and roasted beats.  And then some perfectly cooked beefheart with dukka (an Egyptian nut condiment, natch) and carrots and some kind of puree on the side.

Dessert was a chocolate pot a creme topped with an almost unsweetened brownie, the kind of thing that in lesser hands would be an overly sweet vaguely disgusting mess but here was a well-calculated, balanced treat that was still vaguely disgusting after all that other food.

If you order the beefheart, it's even kind of cheap.

I discuss some oddities of service and attitude in the "Location" thread.  But I can't withhold an enthusiastic recommendation.  The food here is just delicious.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,802 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

I thought I saw a reference to things like sausage rolls and pasties, but don't see them on the website.  Any intelligence on that?

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

I think that must be the lunch menu.  Did you look at that?  (That's also where the famous Chopped Cheese resides.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Yup.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,802 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Quite right.  I thought I had looked, but I was using a phone, so no wonder i missed it.  Thanks.

Now I just need to think of a reason to be in that neighborhood at lunchtime.

#6 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

I thought I saw a reference to things like sausage rolls and pasties, but don't see them on the website.  Any intelligence on that?

I was there an hour ago. This was my second visit  at lunch. The sausage roll is phenomenal. The pastry is SO rich and just a wonderful indulgence. The chopped cheese continues to impress. A great combination of fat, salt, the vinegar of the pickles and a little heat from the jalepeno. Again, like last time...the kaiser roll was perfect.

#7 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:25 PM

Grub Street (NY Magazine) gave White Gold 4 stars. They gave it one star just for the 'beef fat' potatoes :)  

http://www.grubstree...white-gold.html

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

i went this weekend.. While I was talking to the people I know who work there, some lady came in and snatched the last chopped beef.. I wasn't really hungry as I stuffed myself on dinosaur nuggets at the Natural History Museum..  But, the place looked awesome.. Excited to return

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#9 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Beef fat potatoes just sound so good.  Almost as good as duck fat potatoes.

McDonald's ran into difficulty when they switched from beef tallow to something healthier. Changed the taste of their fries entirely.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

God that was a sad day.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

i went this weekend.. While I was talking to the people I know who work there, some lady came in and snatched the last chopped beef.. I wasn't really hungry as I stuffed myself on dinosaur nuggets at the Natural History Museum..  But, the place looked awesome.. Excited to return

if you can, shoot for that chopped beef. It's phenomenal

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,338 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

if you can, shoot for that chopped beef. It's phenomenal

I was going based on your writing
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#13 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 03:25 AM

Dinosaur nuggets?  Aren't they an endangered species or something?  Or are they (ahem) remainders of the dinosaur?

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,802 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Made it.  What a nice place.

But I will doubtless start a twelve page flame war by wishing they'd put decent cheese in the chopped cheese.

• But then it wouldn't be authentic.  
  • Well they should use cheap beef and a crappy roll, then.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 83,802 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:44 PM

I meant to say, it is salty food.  I was gulping water an hour later.

Nothing new with Bloomfield.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: April Bloomfield, UWS