Photo

Sunday In Brooklyn (Atera alums in South Williamsburg)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

Sorry about the title mess up

I went here the other night and let me tell you what, this place is exciting.  We drank a ton and ate a ton and my memory is hazy or at least for right now it is but, everything was good.. Some of it very good.. And it's an interesting and exciting concept.. Most of the food is probiotic or fermented or has some sort of culture in it and if I didn't eat most of the menu perhaps I wouldnt have picked up on it.. A place with a concept that isnt stuffed down your throat or seems forced to work.. 

The space is super comfortable.. It's homey and like three levels but, still warm and charming.   The menu is very seafood focused which i love.. We tried to order a 3 pound seabass head but, they were sold out.. So, we settled on a 2 lb monkfish tail and a whole fluke.. Both were awesome..  Both were cooked in their wood oven..  I generally do not like monkfish tail.. In fact, i like mine, I like Alicia's and that's about it.. Now, I really like theirs.. Like, really like theirs.. It was served in some white cultured sauce.. I am sure there is more to it and I am completely wrong but, I can tell you with 100 percent certainty I loved it at the time.. 

So many good things, I suggest you read the menu.. The only thing I was not crazy about was a squash dish for an appetizer.. It was not bad, just kind of boring.   Also, the sourdough bread made with a 100 year old starter brought over from Alaska is ridiculously good.  The oyster buns, the pickle plate, the risotto or rice grits. are very good 

Good stuff, i am excited to go back.. It's the most original restaurant I have been to in some time. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,444 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:17 PM

Just to place it for everyone, this is the former Isa space.

Given the priors, you have to ask how this compares to Olmsted.  Sounds like it's more fun, if nothing else.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:22 PM

Just to place it for everyone, this is the former Isa space.

Given the priors, you have to ask how this compares to Olmsted.  Sounds like it's more fun, if nothing else.

I find it more enjoyable

#4 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

Daniel, did you get a look upstairs? When I went, they said they were mostly using the upper floors for events.

Sneak, you'd be correct in making the Olmsted comparison. The cooking is very similar. There was a carrot cake dessert where the intention is for the cake to taste like fresh carrots (it does) with I think a mezcal frosting. Really nice.

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,460 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

As Daniel notes, the thread title needs fixing: no garlic from Atera was involved. Can a mod please correct to "alums"? TIA.

[/stickler]

ETA: Thank you.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Daniel, did you get a look upstairs? When I went, they said they were mostly using the upper floors for events.

Sneak, you'd be correct in making the Olmsted comparison. The cooking is very similar. There was a carrot cake dessert where the intention is for the cake to taste like fresh carrots (it does) with I think a mezcal frosting. Really nice.

Gerry Olds, you secretly go everywhere.. 

#7 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

Sure I get around, but I don't always kiss and tell  ;)

#8 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:05 AM

Not as enamored of this place as Daniel. His report inspired my visit

A "snack" of oven-roasted ham and lamb's tongue with mustard was very good and generous. Bread was fine but limited by its being an individual-sized loaf, indeed more like a giant roll. I don't love bread that has been re-warmed in the oven, though. (Better the bread be cold if it's good bread.)

The rice grits tasted too much like raw/unripe pumpkin for my liking. Just ok.

The oven-roasted black bass ($60) was, for me, unappetizingly served with at least a stick of cold "mussel butter" grated over it like cheese. More importantly, the fish was slightly undercooked and didn't come off the bone entirely, which I felt less forgiving about given the price. The greens accompanying the fish were good, and generous, too.

I was excited to come back to the former Isa space but I think (the original) Isa was better.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,296 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

sheet, sorry about that.. Our bread was perfect, we ordered two.. perhaps ours was more fresh being that it was a saturday night.. Our fish was cooked perfectly,  i removed the bone in one swoop and was cooked perfectly.. we also had no greens served with ours.. Sorry again, i feel like our experiences were different.. But, the monkfish really stood out for me, as did the bread.. The grits tasted of that funky cheese more than anything in my opinion.. 

i feel badly.. I also get excited about anything that is different than the norm.. maybe i fell in love with the concept and the idea of everything being probiotic. 

#10 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:19 AM

I figured the kitchen wasn't executing as well as on the night you went. Funnily enough, we found the food a little hard to digest - all that butter on the fish!