Photo

Sunday In Brooklyn (Atera alums in South Williamsburg)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Cosign. Dinner here is great and doesn't get enough credit, at least not press-wise. Everyone's too busy with their pancakes and breakfast sandwiches.

Thanks, Daniel. Sounds like they're only getting better.

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,550 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

34106964172_6512d07500_z.jpg

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#18 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,550 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:19 PM

Cosign. Dinner here is great and doesn't get enough credit, at least not press-wise. Everyone's too busy with their pancakes and breakfast sandwiches.

Thanks, Daniel. Sounds like they're only getting better.

Yeh, i am glad you agree.. I had them go to Otway the other day as I find a similarity between the two places without overlapping or even being too similar . I guess in the spirit, passion and execution..  They are two really exciting places within this years "Brooklyn Freshman Class"  I guess..  Good stuff.. Their roof is about to open too. 

#19 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,017 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:11 PM

The restaurant's merits do not include taking reservations for solo diners.

#20 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,550 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

The restaurant's merits do not include taking reservations for solo diners.

There is a bar with maybe 15 20 seats. I don't see seating being an issue.

#21 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

I don't know why Otway doesn't get more press.  I agree it's at the head of the freshman class.

It's frustrating, because Mettā -- which isn't as good -- gets lots more media play.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#22 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:54 PM

I don't know why Otway doesn't get more press.  I agree it's at the head of the freshman class.

It's frustrating, because Mettā -- which isn't as good -- gets lots more media play.

Between Otway, Mettā and Sunday in Brooklyn, SiB -- perhaps because it's the most versatile (open all-day, more approachable food) -- has gotten most of the press (keep in mind that Mettā's also the youngest of the three). Otway, to its credit, is still making things like tête de cochon and pork with blood sauce (the only review that I can find is from the Village Voice).

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,550 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

My on location correspondent  deemed their breakfast sandwich 

Their egg sandwich may be the best egg sandwich I've 

34083613410_717f6a1861_o.jpg

those are house made potato sticks....

Like a super fluffy scramble

Tons of melted cheese inside

.Housemade sage & maple sausage.

I can barely finish half

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,550 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

My aunt by the way, who has spent the last two weeks in New York, eating at every restaurant I sent her to and then some, has found this to be her favorite of the trip... 

She did not like Chinese Tuxedo at all. She asked me where to take her grandkids.... I initially told her hot pot as the boys would love it but, then mentioned Chinese Tuxedo as fancy and getting accolades.  

She responded to me the other night:

skip Chinese Tuxedo, Not very good! 

I responded, Are you serious, I am sorry to hear that.. 

Don't be sorry, we had so much fun trashing the place. 

#25 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,349 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

So this place is good, however they do something I find totally tacky with the credit card terminal at the end of the meal.  First off the preset tips are 25%, 22%, and 20% - and they are in that order on the terminal.  Just left a bad taste in my mouth after what I thought was a pretty enjoyable meal. (Although I did have our whole fish refired as it was undercooked to the point of rawness)

Why not mayo?

#26 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:52 AM

Which left the worst taste; the credit card incident or the raw fish?

#27 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

(Although I did have our whole fish refired as it was undercooked to the point of rawness)

Our whole fish was undercooked, too. Better than overcooked, I guess.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,465 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:17 PM

I liked the food here at dinner as much as most people on this thread. (To be honest, I liked it better than Isa.)

So when I mention how bad this place is for solo diners, don't take it as a complaint, but rather a warning (at least for those with the same proclivities as me). The problem, of course, is the usual one at places where everything's meant for sharing. The large plates are out of the question; and it's hard to make a meal that makes sense for one person out of the smaller plates.  I ordered the (wonderful, excellent, fabulous) meat board, and I would say there was almost exactly twice as much of each of its components (pig testa -- GREAT, lamb's tongue, ham, and chicken liver mousse) as I would ideally have wanted.  The vegetables -- an asparagus plate and a rather wonderful morels preparation -- were both great, but again, too much of each.  Even if I had ordered fewer plates, there STILL would have been too much of each item.

But really really good food, and exceedingly pleasant surroundings.  No question about it.

Bar Loser

MF Old