Photo

Sunday In Brooklyn (Atera alums in South Williamsburg)

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

All of these reports have done this place a huge disservice. SIB is OUTSTANDING!!!

The cod pastrami could be the best dish being served in NYC right now.

#47 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

This is much better than Isa (by which I mean the original, not whatever pizza brunch place it became), and gets good results even if it does so by relying extremely heavily on fat. 

In particular, getting a 2.5lb-ish John Dory (perfectly cooked) for $50 felt like exploiting an arb opportunity, but also the charcuterie (maybe except for the chicken liver pate (butter)) was very nice, and the cod pastrami was indeed good if very much in your face. We also had a couple of things from the vegetable section which were nice (radishes, lettuces), but to me the fat bombing seemed even more obvious here. 

Interesting wine list, and I tried not to choke at the $105 price tag for a bottle of Mas de Gaio (which I think of as a 20 Euro wine, but maybe I'm misremembering). 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#48 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Yes, their wine list is somewhat overpriced, but that appears to be the way of the world these days - guess they need to make up for the rent increases.

It is fatty concept, but I did my best to limit by doing some veggies as well.

#49 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:42 PM

All i can say is wowza... We arrived last night and the place was packed to the gills..  We felt like celebrities as we had no reservation and they decided to create "kitchen seats" and they created a seating area for our party of 4.  We are friends of the house, known to the chef and the partners.. We know the incredibly talented person in charge of the bar program.. We know most of the waiters... We have brought most of our staff there,   We will soon by neighbors..  There is no doubt I am biased..   And even more so, there is no doubt we wouldn't be so known and I wouldn't be so biased, if I didn't love the place so much..   We are cooking a pretty serious dinner this wednesday so, we needed a kick in the ass and a break from veganism so, we can get motivated. 

They have revamped some of their menu and kept some of my favorite things, like the black cod, the fried chicken legs.   

Wine list is fantastic.. We drank their last bottle of Bellwether from the finger lakes, then we had this 100 percent Muscat  that tasted of Lavendar and was delicious.. Loved it.. 

I truly feel like this is the most important restaurant in Brooklyn right now.. They seem to be doing the most fun and interesting and different food... It's inspiring, i eat here and I am thinking about new stuff for days.  

Last night.. We had the octopus with fried potatoes and fried sage.. The octopus was cooked perfectly... The fried potatoes were also perfect.. The idea of octopus and potatoes is very common.. I love the combo and usually serve the dish every xmas..  This was the best cooked octopus I have had.. and the combo, it was just beautiful 

Honeynut squash was roasted and served with crunchy brown butter bits, cultured cheese and bonito flakes. this was a winner too.. reminiscent of the italian savory dish that uses amaretti cookies... Beautiful combo, classic, yet the addition of the cultured cheese and the bonito, well, thats all theirs.. 

Another thing that blew my mind grapes was the meat plate..  They make their own lamb prosciutto and by god, that thing was the lambiest, most cheesy beautiful thing I have tasted in a long time.. I lost my poor mind.. Were did you cure this, I asked.. He had it hanging in his office..   There was a coppa and a head cheese and served with their delicious bread...  All good, people had their favorites but, damn that lamb... 

Wood roasted hen of woods was beautiful.. Great with wine and great for the season... We also had their leek, pear and anchovies.. Not my favorite but, loved the idea.. We also had a monkfish that I was not wild about and would call it the weakest dish of the evening.. 

You know what is interesting about this place.. I think this is the only NBC restaurant I can think of  that doesn't have a pasta.. Not a risotto, not a gnocchi, not a string of spaghetti..  I wondering why?  Nobody ever went broke selling flour and water.. the make their own rolls and sour dough and they have a strong bakery program.. I wonder why they don't?  I will have to ask?

I am a fan of this place.. I love the food, love the vibe, love the passion and professionalism of the people.. I can't wait to see what the future holds for these guys. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#50 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

It's a good place, we went back a couple of times when we were in town and even when it was completely slammed everything worked (and what they lack in pasta they make up for in fat)

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#51 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

I hope they'll bring back the lamb tongue for that meat plate. Also FYI the Family Store in Bay Ridge makes excellent lamb prosciutto.

#52 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

Going tomorrow for lunch. Really looking forward even though the menu will be different from what you’ve all enjoyed at dinner. Will report back.

#53 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,041 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:54 PM

Going tomorrow for lunch. Really looking forward even though the menu will be different from what you’ve all enjoyed at dinner. Will report back.

the pancakes are really delicious.. alicia and I were served one and we couldn't finish the one.. I think they are normally three to an order. . I also don't eat sweets generally..

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#54 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:04 PM

If you're not offended by chips in a sandwich, they make their own roast beef, breakfast sausage, and rolls. Both have crispy fried shoestring potatoes, and both are very good, though I'm partial to the breakfast sandwich.

How many people are you going with? If I was only choosing two dishes, I'd say the pancakes and the smoked fish platter are the best examples of what this kitchen is capable of.