34 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

Granted, Arcadia Florida is in the middle of nowhere and is quite a depressed town.

But if anyone happens to find themselves within an hour drive, this is a must. Their Signature Sandwich is the absolute best sandwich I ever tasted.

http://marymargaretsteaandbiscuit.com/

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:05 PM

Is the sun getting to you?

#3 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:47 AM

yes, but the sandwich was still the best. you enjoy offbeat places. take a ride there for lunch one afternoon.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:01 PM

yes, but the sandwich was still the best. you enjoy offbeat places. take a ride there for lunch one afternoon.

True. I try to keep it within a radius of 50 miles, however.

#5 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:11 PM

where's your sense of adventure? fly to tampa, drive about 90 minutes southeast, then go to bern's for dinner. what a day!!!

#6 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

I agree with Rich. Arcadia is real Florida. Check it out (although I think ocala national Forest is the nicest bit to explore)
Why not mayo?

#7 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

"Real Florida" is one of those concepts which means different things to different people.  Some good, some not good. But, Arcadia is definitely out in the middle of nowhere.

Three or four generations ago, Vanderbilt family members traveled through Arcadia in their private rail cars on the way to Vanderbilt Beach, Naples, and other luxurious wintering locations.  I doubt any of them even looked up at the rail junction

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#8 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

That wallpaper is giving me the vapors, but that sandwich sounds like a good combination.

#9 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

where's your sense of adventure? fly to tampa, drive about 90 minutes southeast, then go to bern's for dinner. what a day!!!

I agree with Rich. Arcadia is real Florida. Check it out (although I think ocala national Forest is the nicest bit to explore)

The hottest summer I ever spent was winter in Tampa...

I've made enough trips to Florida to last me a lifetime, and since there's no longer a reason for those trips, I've called it a day.  

#10 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,351 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Arcadia isn't Boynton

Why not mayo?

#11 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

I've made enough trips to Florida to last me a lifetime, and since there's no longer a reason for those trips, I've called it a day.

I know just how you feel.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#12 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

I've only visited Florida once in modern times, but found the number of middle class elderly seemingly living meanly very depressing.    Audible angst over the cost of menu items, agonizing over choices where there was only a dollar difference, splitting restaurant tabs to the penny, asking hotel reception to split room charges 4 ways for two bedded rooms.   

"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#13 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,467 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

The west coast of Florida is a whole different world.

And then there's Bern's. No one should pass through this world without visiting Bern's.

If I have a choice it will be the venue of my last supper.

#14 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

I haven't found Voyager's description of life in South Florida to be true in the Stuart area. Although I'm absolutely sure it describes parts of Lake Worth, Boynton, Boca, etc.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#15 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

(SNIP)

If I have a choice it will be the venue of my last supper.

Are you planning to be interred in the wine caverns?
Niccolò Machiavelli