"A meal without wine is called breakfast."   Camille Fourmont

#2 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:43 AM

I've never cooked an eel, I'm ashamed to say.

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,001 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:32 AM

I have. A board and a nail save you one French lady. 

Also I hope their family appreciates choking on bones. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

One of the first jobs I ever had during high school was working in the fish, meat, and deli departments (I was a fee-lancer!) of a long-ago defunct supermarket chain that began and maintained a big presence on Long Island - it was called Hills Supermarkets. I worked in Malverne, Franklin Square, Cedarhurst (which had special sturgeon under the counter just like Russ), Island Park, etc. Stores would open and I would get sent to various locations to help with the openings.  (In those days, they had real butchers and fish mongers in the stores.)

Around the Christmas holidays, we would start getting in live eels...I especially remember this in Franklin Square, as there was a large Italian population, and it was my "base."

As Ori says, the board and a nail were key to skinning the bastards.  As was a good pair of needle nose pliers!

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:04 PM

Now maybe I'll get one at the Greenmarket; at least they're already dead there. That opening sequence with the wood reminded me of the film on beef processing that we watched in culinary school: a guy holding a gun to the animal's forehead and saying, "First, we stun the calf."

I liked how she pulled out the section of spine.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table