8 replies to this topic

#1 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:05 AM

My aunt is going to Spain for three weeks and has offered to bring stuff back as long as it's light. That means no wine, port, or sherry; no olive oil; no paella pan; no bomba rice. So what does that leave me? Right now my list is:

Conservus de combados sardines
Ortiz anchovies
Piment d'espelette
Some paellero paella seasonings
Maybe some turron
Is quince paste light?

All difficult or impossible to get where I am, and small enough not to weigh my aunt's luggage down too much.

Any other suggestions? As for turron, I only know El Almendro, but are there better brands I can try?

Suggestions?

#2 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

http://trufbox.com/

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,925 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:00 PM

saffron will be the lightest thing.. 

Maybe check out, La Tienda and see what inspires you.   https://www.tienda.c...ed_paprika.html

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

I particularly like the dried, cured tuna known as mojama.  La Tienda and Despana are my sources for that and other things Spanish.

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,925 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:07 PM

I love baby eels. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#6 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

semimojama

arroz bomba drinks 4x so it's not heavy

espelette is on the other side of the border

#7 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:42 PM

Is mojama similar in flavour to karasumi? I think I could get my aunt to get some if it's not too hard to find. She doesn't particularly care for food or shopping, so I'm trying to limit my list to things she'll be able to find easily. Bomba rice might make the cut. I can hear her complaining, but because I'm one of the few who never asks her for anything, she might be willing to bring some back.

I thought about baby eels. Maybe I could ask her for a selection of canned fishy things. She might be OK with that, since she'll be able to grab a bunch without worrying about what she's grabbing.

Isn't espelette Basque? Not the name, but the actual pepper. I'm not sure where she's going in Spain, but I thought she might be able to find some if it's Basque. (Wiki says it's Ezpeletako biperra)

I'll browse through La Tienda and Despana a little more. I look at La Tienda every so often (to dream), but I never order anything. There's a Spanish provisions store in Montreal that I might visit at the end of the month, so I'll take a look there, too.

Thanks!

#8 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:46 PM

Mojama tastes like mojama - say a sort of not-completely-cured ham of tuna. If it's semimojama then it's really not very cured... but the best producers use almadraba tuna and the season closed in June so it's probably all fully cured by now.

There's karasumi too (huevas de mújol) and several other fish egg products (de lisa, de merluza, de atun) but when you say "huevas" you mean huevas de maruca (maruca is something that looks like a greenling, I don't know the english name if there is one) 

You can find these in any gourmet shop or market - for example the Gourmet Experience in Callao would be so hard for a tourist not to happen by that you could view not getting anything as a sign of sheer hostility. 

Real baby eels are very expensive and there's no point in the canned version. You're likely to end up with Gulas, which are texturized surimi with eyes. In general the good canned seafoods will make auntie very worried when her credit card maxes out, and I can't recommend it unless you know the brand and the style of preparation. 

Espelette is an AOC so while it might be available in Spain it's really not a Spanish thing. 

#9 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,878 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:45 AM

Word has it my aunt got some paella seasonings (but no saffron), sardines, and turron. There may be more, but that's all I heard about. Will find out for sure in a couple of days unless someone forgets to bring it home...

(When I was in Montreal in Feb/March, I managed to find espelette and get some lesser quality bomba at the Spanish provisions store near Schwartz's. They had two or three types of bomba, but the very helpful owner said I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, so just get the cheaper one. I laughed)