1 reply to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

The Palm Beach Post has issued its annual "best of" lists.  In addition to the usual best new restaurant, etc, they have best sail-up restaurant, best waterfront view, etc.  Many choices, the better to include many more places as best of something.

Food editor Liz Balmaseda offers a good range of places, at a mostly higher end price point.  Here are a few that interested me. By chance, I drove past several of them today, just before reading this piece.

The Regional Kitchen & Public House (651 Okechobee Road in CityPlace). With a woman chef-partner, and a woman pastry chef, the restaurant starts on a high note, and continues.  Buttermilk fried chicken thighs, rocky road with home made marshmallows and almonds, etc.

Grato (1901 S Dixie Highway in WPB) part of the Buccan group. Blue crab, smoked pork and other charcuterie, fresh local ingredients. The chef is an alumnus of the Palm Beach Cafe Boulud.  A crespelle / crepe with fontina, ham, charred garlic for a starter.

Cholo Soy Cocina (3715 S Dixie Highway in WPB) A tiny tacqueria which is getting good notices.  Purely by chance, I drove past it today and noticed a line of people outside at 2pm.  In the 80 degree, bright sunshine, that's unusual.   This is in the Antiques and Design District, roughly the stretch of South Dixie from 20th south to about 40th streets. Older two story retail with apartments above, small houses on the side streets, etc.

Avocado Grill (125 Datura in WPB, near Flagler Center).  This won for best flavors.  Vibrant flavors without being overly rich.

Dixie Bar & Grill (5101 S Dixie in WPB)  30 craft beers on tap.  I drove past that one today, as well.   Made a mental note to check it out in the future.

El Unico  (6108 S Dixie Highway) On any given day, you might find freshly roasted pork, ropa vieja (shredded flank steak in creole sauce) and stewed chicken, plus your choice of beans, rice and plantains, all starting at $4.99

http://www.mypalmbea...qfkwtudXS0tZUK/

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

The Poke Company is opening a store in the Boca Raton area.  I was planning to go down there anyway to check out the new BrightLine trains, so that could be a good opportunity.

Do it yourself, it seems.  In Boca, that's a recipe for trouble.  I'm sure you direct the counter person and they add the allowed amount of this or that.

The dish is a salad-style one with raw fish as a main ingredient and toppings that range from vegetables to seaweeds to sauce. Patrons will be able to build a poke bowl with a base of white rice, brown rices. or cauliflower rice, then add raw fish, sauces and toppings, such as jalapeno, cucumber, seaweed salad and wasabi peas, among other toppings.

555 Federal Highway at 4th street

http://spbc.blog.pal...-in-boca-raton/

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli