6 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,856 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

NY Times reports listeria was found in some samples, as two people have perished.

The article notes there are many ways in which the listeria may have entered the process

https://www.nytimes....n-new-york.html

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,654 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

all my cheese friends are super pissed about the Times.. Apparently, there is a lot of information either missing or titled to be worse than it is.. It's really sad as they are a beautiful cheese producer and very nice people.. 

My only fear is, big cheese, our these processed cheese makers will use to pass more legislation against people making good food.. Just how they did recently which closed down a lot of small producing meat curers.   

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,856 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

For some reason I can't copy the text, but the article mentions that the US regulations are less strict than European rules.  Specifically the steps and intervals required to reduce the risk of contamination.  I'm sure more rules on an already regulated product wouldn't be welcomed.

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#4 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,151 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 10:42 PM

Well the cheese I reviewed on the Pink Pig last week was at least one of their other raw milk cheeses, the Heinennellie.

Instinctively I am inclined to believe Daniel on this.

#5 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

It seems unnecessary for the Times article to place so much emphasis on the Vulto Creamery cheese being made from raw milk. A cheesemonger just told me there was a massive recall in 2014 after Listeria was found in Kraft cheese slices.

#6 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,856 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:24 PM

The raw milk aspect may be of more interest to the NYT demographic.

Although I would believe that 2 or 3 samples out of a hundred thousand examples may be overkill.
Niccolò Machiavelli

#7 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,392 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

It seems unnecessary for the Times article to place so much emphasis on the Vulto Creamery cheese being made from raw milk. A cheesemonger just told me there was a massive recall in 2014 after Listeria was found in Kraft cheese slices.

You can find meta-analysis of the issue where it's rather clear the listeriosis risk of raw milk is much higher. The data I can find for cheese confirms the same (something like 75% despite being a very small percentage of consumption)
Why not mayo?