8 replies to this topic

#1 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:34 AM

I need a sturdy, hand crank meat grinder. Passover is coming and I will need one to make gefilte fish and chopped liver. I can live without the former, but it is expected. All metal would be preferred. Any suggestions?

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

I have two painted cast-iron grinders, at least one of which is a Universal Food and Meat Chopper No. 2. One is my late mother's, which was used mostly for gefilte fish. The other I bought 30-, maybe 40-something years ago because I thought it would be good to have. I have not used it since I got my KitchenAid grinder attachment. I could send you one, although I might have to ask you to pay the (considerable because it's cast iron) postage. If you like, I can calculate what that cost would be, and you can figure if it would be cheaper to just buy one yourself. The range I'm finding is anywhere from $15 to $75; not sure if shipping is included in any of them.

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:12 AM

Get a good electric grinder. Show the kids Delicatessen while making gefilte.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

OTOH, if you have a KitchenAid mixer, it could be worth it to buy the food grinder attachment. (I think other brands have something similar.) So much easier to use, and you can wash in the dishwasher (although a good brushing is still necessary to remove any residue). As I mentioned above, it's all I use now for meat (for hamburger and chili) and anything else I want to grind, raw or cooked.

And for chopped liver: my mother always used the Jewish equivalent of a mezzaluna, and I do, too. Can't imagine making it in a grinder--aren't we supposed to suffer for that?

[B]ragging rights are a side effect of hype. -- Sneakeater, 4 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

#5 DanM

DanM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:43 PM

That is a very kind and tempting offer for the meat grinder. I will have to think about it.

I am avoiding the kitchenaid attachment as it is plastic and therefore impossible to kasher. 

i usually hand chop my chopped liver. A meat grinder with a coarse blade will give a more consistent texture.  As far as suffering... that is what matzoh and in-laws are for. ;)

Blessed are the cheesemakers.

#6 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

The older grinder (my mother's) has only one plate, for fine grinding, and weighs about 5 pounds 2 ounces unboxed. And the plate looks rusty. The newer one has three blades, coarse, medium, and fine, and weighs 4 pounds 13 ounces in the box. Lighter, but still cast iron and sturdy. Seriously, take the newer one. It looks like I can send it via the Post Office for about $14.

#7 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

And for chopped liver: my mother always used the Jewish equivalent of a mezzaluna, and I do, too. Can't imagine making it in a grinder--aren't we supposed to suffer for that?

The hach messer, or something like that? I definitely have my grandmother's somewhere or other.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

Yup. I've still got my mother's. And I used to use it to make chopped liver, in her same wooden bowl, until the bowl finally splintered on the bottom (not good eating). Now I've got other wooden bowls.

I've also got the knife sharpener thingy (basically a handle with two sets of rotating wheels) that my father used on his carving knife. And some of my late mother-in-law's kitchen items. I treasure all of those more than any jewelry from them (much as I like wearing it). That's why I'm willing to part with my own grinder but not my mother's.

#9 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:26 PM

So DanM, what did you end up using?