Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

Writer
https://www.nytimes....&pgtype=article
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#2 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

RIP Jimmy. One of the last of a dying breed of journalistic reporters championing the 'little guy'. Even murderers like Son of Sam idolized him, and sought him out to tell their story.

"Breslin’s columns for The News on the Son of Sam’s chilling missives offered insight into the mind of a madman on the loose and left the city gripped in fear.

“The night he got arrested, I walked into the courtroom in Queens and he pointed at me [and] said, ‘There’s Jimmy Breslin, my friend,’” Breslin once recalled. “‘What was that? Shoot him,’ I said.”

#3 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,689 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

http://www.thedailyb...&source=copyurl

Then that happened.

#4 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

I read his columns for years and enjoyed them.  I may have even borrowed a bit of his prose style and then forgotten what I'd done.

RIP Jimmy.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#5 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

The concept that journalism is a credentialed profession (MA Medill, Columbia, etc) excludes guys like Jimmy from Queens at the starting gate.

There are a few old timers still on local TV who look like they've been around the block for a while.
“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”
Niccolò Machiavelli

#6 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

IMO the professionalization of journalism has been one of the worst things that's happened to the quality thereof.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,492 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:50 AM

The concept that journalism is a credentialed profession (MA Medill, Columbia, etc) excludes guys like Jimmy from Queens at the starting gate.

There are a few old timers still on local TV who look like they've been around the block for a while.

dude was always keeping it 33412198321_1c13013daa_s.jpg

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,820 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:48 AM

There just aren't people like him anymore.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:49 AM

Sure there are. They just don't get to be journalists.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#10 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

"The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" was great.

This space available… contact owner.

#11 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

The Daily News had a couple of statements in their tribute to Jimmy that fit him to a tee.

He was an unmade bed of a reporter with an unkempt mane of hair, unflinchingly speaking truth to power, exposing corruption and cheering the underdog across four decades.

His rumpled demeanor, profane chatter and boozy persona masked a self-made scholar known to read Dostoevsky in his down time. And his work ethic belied his reputation as a carouser.

“Breslin is an intellectual disguised as a barroom primitive,” wrote Jack Newfield and Wayne Barrett in their book “City for Sale.’

When the Crown Height riots broke in 1991, Breslin — then 61 — hopped a cab and headed to Brooklyn. He was yanked from the taxi by some four dozen rioters, robbed and beaten — left only with his underwear and an NYPD press card. Hurtling toward Crown Heights in a taxi in the thick of the 1991 race-religion riots — true New Yorker that he was, he never learned to drive — Breslin became the target, and the chronicler, of rage: "The kid on the hood swung the baseball bat with as much speed as you could want and with a look on his face that told you all you ever want to know about life in New York at this time." He emerged from the melee with a busted lip, black eye and no clothes — and a hell of a column."

#12 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,693 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

I have an old Breslin collection which I must dig out and dust off.

As for the romanticism here, come on: for every Breslin there must have been a thousand drunk cowboys you wouldn't trust to cover a church fete. 

#13 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:55 PM

Mike Lupica, a friend of Breslin's for over 40 years, has a nice line in his remembrance.

All you ever needed to do was read him, really from the time he got a column at the old New York Herald Tribune and changed the business forever with the force of his talent and reporting and humor; and his ability, as he once told me, in as reflective a moment as I can remember from him, as he tried to describe what it was he did, to find “eloquence in simplicity.”

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,693 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:13 AM

I always liked reading about Steve Dunleavy and his approach to his job; but never wanted to read him.

(Not political, just a blowhard with a tough reporter self-image. Him, not me. I'm features.)