53 replies to this topic

#46 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

a nice visit to the covent garden neal's yard dairy this afternoon. had a nice chat with one of the cheesemongers, in the course of which i probably ate about 4 pounds of cheese in increasingly generously portioned samples. came away with the following:

beenleigh blue--wonderfully fruity, pastuerized sheep's milk.

another wedge of stichelton--tried it first this time and it was a world apart from the one i got at paxton & whitfield
colston bassett stilton--he gave me some for comparison to the stichelton but it was so good i had to get a big wedge.

isle of mull cheddar--reminded me of the old winchester which i'd really liked; unpasteurized.

appleby's cheshire--tried it alongside a red leicester and liked it more; unpasterurized.

tymsboro--an intense raw goat's milk cheese.

they did not have the crozier blue and i forgot to ask about a single gloucester. it's a much smaller store than paxton & whitfield. i asked if the borough market store was bigger; he said it was bigger, on the whole, but that cheese-wise it might be about the same. will check it out late next week, probably.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#47 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,392 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

I might have said this already, but I came across Stichelton in New York last week.  I think, if you get a good one, Isle of Mull might be the best cheddar on the market.  

#48 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

isle of mull cheddar, tart apple, and aultmore 12 (a mild speyside whisky from bourbon casks). a wonderful combination.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#49 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hi,  I'm sorry you couldn't find the Crozier, I know they don't make a lot of it, but keep asking.  Here's a cheese that I enjoyed in Devon, in a lovely shop in Yelverton. I don't know if it makes it to London, but it's worth asking about, because it's fucking delicious. 

33342424984_a1a2cdd9b9_z.jpg

edited to add: you likely can get in it London, as the cheesemaker is closer to you than to Devon.  The shop specializes in Devon and Cornwall product, so I assumed (wrongly) that this was more local to the area. 

#50 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

I think, if you get a good one, Isle of Mull might be the best cheddar on the market.  

i endorse this message. i also cannot be any more enthusiastic about the beenleigh blue than i already am--it's a great, great cheese.

~homer simpson

#51 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

and will keep asking for the crozier (and will add the winslade to the list). for what it's worth the cheese monger at neal's yard dairy recommended the beenleigh blue (also sheep's milk) in place of the crozier that they did not have. if the crozier is as good it will be great. i refuse to believe it can be better.

~homer simpson

#52 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 82,392 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

British cheese does go very well with whisky, doesn't it?

#53 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:57 PM

and will keep asking for the crozier (and will add the winslade to the list). for what it's worth the cheese monger at neal's yard dairy recommended the beenleigh blue (also sheep's milk) in place of the crozier that they did not have. if the crozier is as good it will be great. i refuse to believe it can be better.

It may not be better, but I would be interested to hear your comparison. I did try the Harbourne Blue from the same dairy when I was last in Devon, and was very impressed, it was creamier than I've come to expect from goat blues, so I imagine the beenleigh is pretty dreamy.

#54 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,956 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

a report on cheese at and from neal's yard dairy. i much prefer the covent garden store to the borough market store, which was far too hectic the day i was there.

in addition to the cheese mentioned above, highlights from my other runs there include the harbourne blue cheesemonger mentions above (there are other goat blues?), a decadent brie-style cheese called baron bigod and kirkham's lancashire (the last lancashire still being made with raw milk).

still have not been able to find the crozier blue (or the cashel blue from the same dairy) or the winslade.

baron-bigod.jpg

~homer simpson