48 replies to this topic

#46 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,784 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

a nice visit to the covent garden neal's yard dairy this afternoon. had a nice chat with one of the cheesemongers, in the course of which i probably ate about 4 pounds of cheese in increasingly generously portioned samples. came away with the following:

beenleigh blue--wonderfully fruity, pastuerized sheep's milk.

another wedge of stichelton--tried it first this time and it was a world apart from the one i got at paxton & whitfield
colston bassett stilton--he gave me some for comparison to the stichelton but it was so good i had to get a big wedge.

isle of mull cheddar--reminded me of the old winchester which i'd really liked; unpasteurized.

appleby's cheshire--tried it alongside a red leicester and liked it more; unpasterurized.

tymsboro--an intense raw goat's milk cheese.

they did not have the crozier blue and i forgot to ask about a single gloucester. it's a much smaller store than paxton & whitfield. i asked if the borough market store was bigger; he said it was bigger, on the whole, but that cheese-wise it might be about the same. will check it out late next week, probably.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#47 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 81,889 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

I might have said this already, but I came across Stichelton in New York last week.  I think, if you get a good one, Isle of Mull might be the best cheddar on the market.  

#48 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,784 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

isle of mull cheddar, tart apple, and aultmore 12 (a mild speyside whisky from bourbon casks). a wonderful combination.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: piccolo (minneapolis)

current whisky review: rampur select casks (indian single malt whisky)

current recipe: keema chops (indian-style croquettes)

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#49 CheeseMonger

CheeseMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hi,  I'm sorry you couldn't find the Crozier, I know they don't make a lot of it, but keep asking.  Here's a cheese that I enjoyed in Devon, in a lovely shop in Yelverton. I don't know if it makes it to London, but it's worth asking about, because it's fucking delicious. 

33342424984_a1a2cdd9b9_z.jpg

edited to add: you likely can get in it London, as the cheesemaker is closer to you than to Devon.  The shop specializes in Devon and Cornwall product, so I assumed (wrongly) that this was more local to the area.