3 replies to this topic

#1 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:12 AM

Nice mention of Hearth & Tap in Boozy Burbs.  Looks like a fine menu, and good tap selection.

125 N Kinderkamack Road in Montvale

https://hearthandtap.com/

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#2 joechartreuse

joechartreuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

I've been.  Really not a lot of change- which is a good thing.  Pretty much just a paper shift- even the e-mail contact is the same.

Karaoke and food- almost heaven

#3 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Agreed...not a lot of change at all...a bit more of a "modern" or varied menu, kind of gastro-pub oriented. Same same. Still smoking at the bar and in the cigar room/lounge, which I can appreciate when I am smoking. Good burger. A few new items on the menu like I said. I haven't explored the rest of the place outside the bar, but they seem to be getting a good crowd, at least in the bar and the bar area. Parking lot always seems crowded, but that doesn't tie into "how they are doing financially" so to speak. They've been there a long time, and they seem to have a good, strong, following.

#4 E.L.A.

E.L.A.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 05:06 AM

Well, it's been a while and I've made a few trips here. I have mixed feelings about this place -- primarily because I enjoy going for a drink AND to smoke a cigar. They have a decent selections of craft beers, a nice bar area, and yes, you can smoke at the bar and in the bar area. There is also a non-smoking area (dining room and bar). There is also an outdoor area/patio that seems pretty popular in the nice weather. So, I like it -- for the drink/smoke thing.

As far as the food -- I've always somewhat liked the burger there, even when it was the Porter House. The burger at the Porter House was good. Not as good as Davey's, LOL. But it was a good burger. So now it's a Gaelic gastro-pub, Irish gastro-pub, or whatever they are positioning themselves as. The burger there is OK. You can't go wrong with it. I've had a decent flatbread there. Also a decent appetizer. But that's about it. Decent. The food is fair at best, decent at best. However, my last trip there, I tried some other items, and it just wasn't good.

I had the cauliflower tempura and at first glance it looked good -- but the cayenne just overpowered the cauliflower, and it was also heavily fried. I can see people liking this dish, but for my taste, you didn't get to enjoy the cauliflower and whatever the other ingredients were, because it was just "too much" cayenne. I also had the octopus -- and I was looking forward to the tahini and chickpea puree -- but this dish too was fair at best. The octopus was very soft, a few pieces bordering on "mushy" and they just threw some olives and peppers on the plate. For an entree, being that we had several appetizers, I wanted to go with something lighter -- so I chose the chorizo and jack flatbread. This flatbread was almost inedible. Now, I love chorizo -- but this flatbread was just overloaded with chorizo. Normally, someone who loves chorizo would love this -- but no. It wasn't high quality chorizo, a very strong, overpowering, one dimensional taste. It simply drowned out everything else. The so called jack cheese was a more like a liquified cheese-wiz type consistency -- and it was runny and leaked off the flatbread. I saw a few pumpkin seeds thrown on it, but that was it. I got none of the chilli oil, and non of the salsa verde. I can't see how anyone would like this dish as for me I couldn't eat it.

I know the predecessor place -- the Porter House -- had some controversy around it, but for me, the problem here is the food, the menu. I am a big fan of the gastro-pub, and I think part of the success of that type of place is the pairing, the layering of ingredients, which adds to the unique, eclectic nature of the menu. I think here it is more just "experimental" with ingredients thrown together, and for me, with these dishes they just didn't work, and they weren't executed well. I'll go for a drink and smoke, and I'd order a burger if I was there and was hungry. But that's about it. I'd like to like the place more, but for me, while it's not a gastro-pub, the food at Davey's is much better. Like I said, it always seems crowded and there's alternatives nearby, so enough people must like the place. But for me, like I said, it's a drink and smoke destination.