17 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Pig Bleecker is an offshot of Pig Beach, a mediocre barbecue spot in Gawanus.  It's in the same Greenwich Village space (at the corner of Bleecker and Thompson) that until recently housed the Manhattan branch of Bark Hot Dogs:  the place where Brooklyn meat spots go to die.  So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be terrific.

Now understand what I mean when I call a restaurant "terrific".  I usually mean that it's vaguely disreputable in some way, certainly not at the top in any way, but totally enjoyable.  Here, for example, is a place that is both more ambitious and better realized than you'd have any right to expect.

It's hard to say what the concept is.  I guess it would be fairly imaginative meat-centered dishes.  The name, I think, is going to prove to be a hindrance.

Anyway, I started with something called "Rhode Island Style Cod Cheeks" (not meat, strictly speaking:  I know) with crispy country ham (aha!) and vinegared peppers.  Someone from Rhode Island will have to tell me if there's such a thing as "Rhode Island Style Cod Cheeks".  If there is, it's news to me -- but I hardly set myself up as an expert on Rhode Island Culinary Culture.  As you'd probably guess, these were fried, expertly so.  The ham and the peppers speak for themselves, and you don't have to be Curnonsky to see how good that would all taste together.

Then, the brisket ravioli in a Barolo sauce with black truffle butter.  This was on the gloppy side, so not great -- but good enough.

Cocktails, as you'd expect, are good (albeit not great).  (It's nice that we can now take house cocktails this good for granted.)  As you'd also expect, the wine program is decent -- but you wish it were better, as this is really wine food.

Prices are gentle -- a real selling point for a place that I, at least, am mainly going to use to grab dinner after shows at LPR across the street.

I wasn't expecting this place to be this ambitious.  And I wasn't expecting those ambitions, once I saw the menu, to be so well realized.  So while I wouldn't call this a "must visit", I do heartily recommend it to anyone who likes their food on the hearty side and is looking for a pleasant surprise.

COMP DISCLOSURE:  An after-dinner whiskey.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

the people doing the food at pig beach have changed a few times, it may be better than it was.

#3 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, you're right.  I'm basing this on when it opened (and had "name" chefs).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Rhode Island style calamari is tossed (or topped) with hot peppers in vinegar. I'm not familiar with ham being involved. But I'm guessing that is where they got the name for the cod cheeks.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#5 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

I believe the chef is Matt Abdoo who was CdC of Del Posto before he left for piggier pastures. Not sure how much they've stuck to it, but if I remember correctly from an Eater feature, it sounded like the concept was similar to that Hometown BBQ x Benoit pop-up, essentially a blend of BBQ and fine dining.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

Yep, that's the chef.

This is MUCH less barbecue-oriented than the Hometown x Benoit menu seems to be.

Surprisingly less so.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

I had a nice smoked meat sandwich there at lunch last week. A nice addition to Bleecker street ,which is especially lacking in lunch options

[font=Times New Roman] stung by nettles....

#8 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

Rhode Island style calamari is tossed (or topped) with hot peppers in vinegar. I'm not familiar with ham being involved. But I'm guessing that is where they got the name for the cod cheeks.

A-HA!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

I had a nice smoked meat sandwich there at lunch last week. A nice addition to Bleecker street ,which is especially lacking in lunch options

Annoyingly, Google lists their hours as dinner only.

Surfers beware.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

The website says they're open for lunch Monday to Friday 12:00 - 2:30.

Their on line reservation system only has tables at 6:00PM and 10:30PM on Saturdays.  Yes, I could always just walk in but I'd be concerned that I'd be quoted a 2 hour wait.  Too bad.  The menu looks appealing.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#11 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

Did you try calling? Many restaurants withhold tables from online booking but let you book on the phone for no reason that I can figure out.

#12 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,867 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

I'll give that a shot.  Couldn't hurt.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#13 sweatshorts

sweatshorts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

I just called -- no way to talk to a person, just a recording that says to go online for reservations.  I love 2017.

#14 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,820 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

I'd say the website controls over Google, whose hours listings are frequently wrong.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#15 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:38 PM

It could have been worse. You could have called, gotten through to a person, and then had that person tell you to go online to make the reservation.

(This actually happened to me the first time with my current barber.)

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meat, Village